Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cam lobe positions when setting timing

Old 09-28-2016, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam lobe positions when setting timing

Ok here's a handful of information, any guidance is much appreciated. About half a year Ago I replaced my cam phasers, followed the correct procedures and it ran great afterwards. About a month ago I randomly started losing oil pressure and noticed a rattling sound. Turns out my guide broke off and fell into my oil pan. So I tore apart my front cover and noticed a whole lot of play in my chain on the drivers side, although the guide on the passenger side was the one that was broken. I went ahead and replaced everything, guides, tensioners, timing chains all that good stuff. But when I was setting the timing I came to notice bank 2 (driver side) cam lobes were facing way off where they were supposed to be when using bank 1 intake lobes as a reference (lobes facing about 11 o'clock) all while the key way facing 11 and timing mark at the 6 o'clock. I've seen pictures where the cam lobes of bank 2 are facing at what looks like an 11 o'clock when they should be facing maybe a 3-4 o'clock position. Also, both of the L timing marks are facing up during this position as well. When I know passenger side should have the R and driver side the L. I have no idea what to do at this point then to maybe take the cam out and position it the proper way or if there is something I'm just missing here. Made an account today to maybe get a lead as to what is going on here. The truck ran fine until it lost oil pressure, I would then turn it off and crank it back up. It would still run good until that guide got stuck in the pick up tube screen. I'm just completely lost at this point and could use all the help I can get.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam lobe positions when setting timing