Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Calling all owners with a standard OEM radio/CD head unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Calling all owners with a standard OEM radio/CD head unit

I'm trying to gather some information and would appreciate feedback from folks with a standard radio/CD unit, with or without steering wheel controls. Please list the following in your response:

Year and trim level
Standard radio/CD or radio/6 CD unit
Whether you have volume controls on your steering wheel

Then perform the following:

* Turn ignition to "Accessory" to turn on the radio
* Press AM/FM button once, release, and then BOTH 3 and 6 presets for 1-2 sec
* Release both buttons and then press preset 6 within 5 secs

You should see "Radio Config" on the display. At this point, press the Tune Up button (^) repeatedly and it should scroll through some screens. First screen should be the model # of the unit, followed by various Configs. Please list the displays that you see till it cycles around.

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats the rhyme or reason behind this?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Eat. Sleep. Lift.

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tccards500
Lol +1 that's a lot of work.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Dont do it!!!! It's a scam. He will be able to remotely access the bluetooth on your cell phone and make collect calls to Nigeria.

Just kidding
Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tccards500
It's sort of a quest. I'm trying to determine the different config codes for the OEM radio. The radio is capable of steering wheel controls but is not programmed for it if your trim level doesn't support it. I'm trying first to see if I can find the different config codes (which is what the process above shows) for the radios with and without the feature, and the next step after that is to try and figure out how to change the config code so that they CAN support the steering wheel control. My thought is that if I can figure this out, I can implement my multi-use cruise control/audio control feature on the stock OEM radio.

BTW, if there is someone out there who just knows how to enable the steering wheel control feature in the radio, that works as well!
Old 04-20-2012, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://app.infopia.com/xcesse/Doc_F...ppl_Matrix.pdf

This is a bunch of info I found for DVD compatibility, but I think it may be what you are looking for: all your radio software levels/codes, associated with the different trims and radios. Granted, it's only up to 2006, but I think 06+ radios were all the same. The software config codes are on the last page.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the info. I've seen some of this. It does match up the software codes, but what I'm really looking for is the Config codes, which is what features are programmed and enabled on the radio. It may be moot in the end, as after a lot of searching, I've not been able to find ANY information on reprogramming those configs, even if I knew what they meant. It may be something that only the radio manufacturer (Visteon) can do. That's a pity, as if that feature could be enabled in the radio, it would be possible to add steering wheel controls (via cruise control buttons) on pretty much all the standard OEM radio.

Quick Reply: Calling all owners with a standard OEM radio/CD head unit