Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

california smog bull**** need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default california smog bull**** need help

ok guys im thinking of moving out there bc of a great job but my truck has no cats what can i do so i can still have that nice throaty sound currently i have no cats both go into a single flowmaster then y pipe out
Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Have some high flow cats installed.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no way around it here, ca is very strict on smog laws (all vehicle codes actually). All you can do is install some ca approved cats, get it to pass smog, and register it. You can remove them after you get it all registered and stuff, however it might be illegal still if its too loud.
Or you can just keep it registered in another state
Thats about all of your options i can think of.
.....oh and i hope you dont have any guns you wanna try to bring here. (stupid gun laws as well)
Old 04-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

And for the record, it's a FEDERAL LAW that forbids removal of the cats; not just California, or any particular state.

Huge fine if a police officer were to pull you over and check. Also, no dealer or private individual can legally sell a vehicle with the cats removed. In other words, you cannot sell it legally with them off the truck.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Unofficial Glass Guru

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

or you can not move to CA... you should run the numbers to see if it's really beneficial for you to sacrifice your personal liberty for some political agenda...
Old 04-17-2012, 05:19 PM
BLOWN club #1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey pm me with what part of cali you are moving to we will chat
Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

im moving to some stupid town where my parents are in danville man bc im gonna go work on the natural gas pipeline for likr 62 and hr so its really beneficial and yes i have 3 guns but there all california legal and i bought my truck with no cats on them from gibson truck world
Old 04-18-2012, 01:47 PM
BLOWN club #1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bulldogman70
im moving to some stupid town where my parents are in danville man bc im gonna go work on the natural gas pipeline for likr 62 and hr so its really beneficial and yes i have 3 guns but there all california legal and i bought my truck with no cats on them from gibson truck world
dont worry buddy there are always shady smog shops

my budddies 99dodge 2500 "passed"

he has high flow cats, and doug throleys and the thing reeks of fuel at idle
Old 04-18-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by CRF450
There is no way around it here, ca is very strict on smog laws (all vehicle codes actually). All you can do is install some ca approved cats, get it to pass smog, and register it. You can remove them after you get it all registered and stuff, however it might be illegal still if its too loud.
Or you can just keep it registered in another state
Thats about all of your options i can think of.
.....oh and i hope you dont have any guns you wanna try to bring here. (stupid gun laws as well)
^^^ this is correct and I had a Chevy Colorado shipped to CA from FL and had nearly the same issue. Lesson learned in that I had to spend over $700 in smog-related exhaust and manifold work to get the truck to pass CA emissions; no way around it. I was dead-set on a lifted Chevy Colorado and they are not commonplace like the Toyotas, but I refuse to buy Asian.

Sorry to add insult to injury, but CA also passed legislation that now requires trucks to be weighed at a metered/approved location (e.g. garbage dumps), so you also have to get a stupid certificate showing the curb weight of your truck before you can register. I went through that hassle and expense too; even though the weight rating is plastered on the sticker found on the door column (although I realize definition of curb weight varies and modifications alter the calc).
Old 04-18-2012, 02:14 PM

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bulldogman70
Ha ha ha - I live in Danville and I'm not trying to bag on other places, but it is one of the few remaining "normal" Towns in the Bay Area. I won't get into specifics, but it's like a small Town that could easily be someplace in the Midwest or South; complete opposite of San Francisco and Berkeley that are 30 miles West.

Chevron is in neighboring San Ramon. Get the best salary structure you can squeeze; the "average" 30-year old Rancher runs about $900K .

Quick Reply: california smog bull**** need help