Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

CAI question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question CAI question

ok well i have a K&N CAI that i bought and it hasnt yet been installed but before i do i wanted to ask a question about it leaning out the truck....i have read around that the CAI w/o a tune makes the truck run too lean and causes engine issues and possibly causing it to blow. is all this true?

also i have an edge programmer on my truck currently so are the tunes that the edge has good enough so that i can run the CAI safely?
Old 02-18-2010, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not at all a pro on this subject. But, you need custom tunes with the intake. The Edge is for Stock only. Would have to upgrade to the Gryphon. From what "they" say, the 5.4 in your year can run lean with an intake. My year too. So I am waiting to get tuner, then Gotts or intake. "Shotgun" seems to know alot about this subjuct as well, so maybe he will throw in his .02.

Found the one I was looking for, Check it out:
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/so-you-...highlight=lean

Last edited by 2bhoover; 02-18-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Fords For Life

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I would return the k&n and fo the gotts mod. You are correct the k&n moves the MAF to a point where it gets an inaccurate reading causing the engine to run lean. I doubt it will blow up never heard that one before lol. I took my k&n off and did the gotts mod and i would reccomend you do that too. It has all the benefits of a k&n for 10 bucks instead of 250+. Just my .02 oh and the gotts mod looks stock!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a k&n and havnt had any problems and its been on there for almost 50k
Old 02-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Ex Badge Bunny

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

I have 15k miles on my S&B CAI and have never had an issue... this is actually the first time I've ever heard that custom tunes be used for an intake... couldn't be happier with it though
Old 02-19-2010, 12:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Airaid CAI and ran it 20,000 miles without a tune.I just got a Diablosport tuner with a 87 octane Airaid CAI canned tune and it made a big improvement over the factory tune..
Old 02-19-2010, 08:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by F-1Fizzy
ok well i have a K&N CAI that i bought and it hasnt yet been installed but before i do i wanted to ask a question about it leaning out the truck....i have read around that the CAI w/o a tune makes the truck run too lean and causes engine issues and possibly causing it to blow. is all this true?

also i have an edge programmer on my truck currently so are the tunes that the edge has good enough so that i can run the CAI safely?
Originally Posted by 05FX4-
I would return the k&n and fo the gotts mod. You are correct the k&n moves the MAF to a point where it gets an inaccurate reading causing the engine to run lean. I doubt it will blow up never heard that one before lol. I took my k&n off and did the gotts mod and i would reccomend you do that too. It has all the benefits of a k&n for 10 bucks instead of 250+. Just my .02 oh and the gotts mod looks stock!
Exactly what I would have said. If you want the eye candy, then at least get your Edge converted to a Gryphon and get a custom tune written for the intake. PHP can also tune out the typical intake drone (if it bothers you).

Originally Posted by camohr
i have a k&n and havnt had any problems and its been on there for almost 50k
Just because you haven't noticed any problems doesn't mean you aren't having them. When (and if) you do, it will be a burnt piston or valve (lean leads to extremely high EGTs). Do you have any kind of monitor to watch the EGT? Also note that the lean issue only applies to 5.4L and it doesn't apply to ALL stock tunes, just some. It's hit or miss, but there are well documented issues...
Old 02-28-2010, 01:28 PM

thanks alot for all the great input...i will be sending my edge programmer out this week to gryphon to be upgraded to a gryphon and have a custom tune made so i can run the CAI safely with it and get the most out of the truck. its a cheap upgrade that will save me from a costly repair bill later on down the road...thanks guys
Old 02-28-2010, 01:29 PM

btw is there anyone with a gryphon that could recommend some good custom tunes to get? and what do i have to tell them to have the tune set up for the CAI and whatever else?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:05 PM
This picture scares you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fizzy, go check php's forums for the tune info, they have a lot of info there that will answer all your questions (you should be telling them your upgrades anyway, they will write the tune for your specs.)

Quick Reply: CAI question