Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

A/C Refrigerant Oil Quantity Distribution

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C Refrigerant Oil Quantity Distribution

I am replacing the complete A/C system after finding debris/shavings in the orifice tube. The compressor will not hold a charge as is leaking. The debris is minimal but obviously my compressor is shot so I am replacing everything and just flushing the evaporator. I know the total system takes 8oz of oil. The new compressor says it has 3 ounces already in it.

Should I fill the compressor up to 5oz and distribute 3oz through the rest of the system? Or keep it at 3oz and distribute 5oz through the rest of the system? How much oil should I put in the evaporator, accumulator, condenser and the lines?

The truck is a 2005 F150xlt 5.4l with a FS10 Compressor.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:48 PM
Geek Engineer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would just put the remaining oil in the receiver dryer. It will distribute itself while working. The compressor won't hold much more than the 3 ounces already in it. I split mine 4/4 when I replaced my compressor a couple months ago. Works fine.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if the oil was supposed to be distributed to the different parts so it distributes the oil faster when the A/C is turned on the first time.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CrashBandit
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if the oil was supposed to be distributed to the different parts so it distributes the oil faster when the A/C is turned on the first time.

I am doing the same thing bought everything off fleabay and amazon. When I got compressor yesterday I drained it of oil..It had 4 ounces( said it had correct oil in it but who knows) . The instructions said put a few ounces in Condenser and dryer so thats what Ill do. Make sure you get new High and Low pressure switches also. the low is expensive but the high is not. Total cost with The dupont suva 134a comes to around 300 bucks for everything all parts were 4 seasons. I checked with an ac guy. Stay away from any AC 134a that has additives like sealers in it. Also the dupont Suva 134a at 10 bucks a can is exactly the same as any other 134a with names like super cold Artic freeze etc. Its just a gimmick. I live in az and have done two other cars with it and they are just fine and cold as hell. a note when I did my Burb I put the Oil in the Compressor and only the dryer and it was fine. As long as all of it gets in there its going to be okay.

Last edited by ceasefire49; 05-20-2016 at 09:19 AM.

Quick Reply: A/C Refrigerant Oil Quantity Distribution