Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

A/C problem, compressor comes on but no air blows

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C problem, compressor comes on but no air blows

Turned on my ac and I heard my truck idle down a bit when I turned it on but no air came through the vents, I tried to turn it off and on but no air came through, I am pretty sure that the compressor turns on, how could I know? What else could it be?
Old 05-28-2016, 02:15 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

If no air is coming through the vents, that means the fan for the ac isn't kicking on. On the passenger side under the dash there's a black box. Hit that with your hand a couple times and turn it on. See if it comes back on.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:39 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Have you tried all fan speed settings? Could be a bad resistor. If the fan runs on 4 and no other speed, the resistor is bad.

Other than that you could have a bad relay or motor. Check voltage at the plug on the blower.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,690 Posts

year make would help! Check for blown fuses
Old 05-28-2016, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
year make would help! Check for blown fuses
2008 f150 fx2 with the 4.6 supercrew
Old 05-28-2016, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by nrivera04
Have you tried all fan speed settings? Could be a bad resistor. If the fan runs on 4 and no other speed, the resistor is bad. Other than that you could have a bad relay or motor. Check voltage at the plug on the blower.
I've checked all four settings and nothing happens, I'm gonna look at it today and play around with it a bit
Old 05-28-2016, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by casey.mikl
If no air is coming through the vents, that means the fan for the ac isn't kicking on. On the passenger side under the dash there's a black box. Hit that with your hand a couple times and turn it on. See if it comes back on.
gotcha, if it doesn't come back on, how hard is it to replace a fan blower for the AC, and is it expensive?
Old 05-28-2016, 08:40 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

not sure what black box Mike is telling you t.o bang on but, you most likely have a blown fuse or a bad blower motor resistor.. the fuse panel is in the passenger side kick panel and the blower motor resistor is located behind the glove box and is very easy to change. 2 scews and a plug.. they are not expensive and this is a very common problem with our year group. if and when you go to replace the resistor you need to get the corret one.. auto temp control or manual. To verify that your compressor is engaging.. open your hood with the motor running select a/c and look at the compressor clutch to see if it is spinning.. this is the part with the belt running across it.. engaged the center section will be spinning. it may even click to disengage while your watching it.

Last edited by techrep; 05-28-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
not sure what black box Mike is telling you t.o bang on but, you most likely have a blown fuse or a bad blower motor resistor.. the fuse panel is in the passenger side kick panel and the blower motor resistor is located behind the glove box and is very easy to change. 2 scews and a plug.. they are not expensive and this is a very common problem with our year group. if and when you go to replace the resistor you need to get the corret one.. auto temp control or manual. To verify that your compressor is engaging.. open your hood with the motor running select a/c and look at the compressor clutch to see if it is spinning.. this is the part with the belt running across it.. engaged the center section will be spinning. it may even click to disengage while your watching it.
I saw the compressed and it's good, I hit the black box and it popped rite on , I'm going to get resistor now to see if that's the problem
Old 05-28-2016, 11:27 AM

So I changed out the resistor and its still doing it until I have to hit the black box under neath, could this be my blower motor? What else is in that black box?

Quick Reply: A/C problem, compressor comes on but no air blows