Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

A/C is not cold when first start in idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C is not cold when first start in idle

I have a 2005 f150 4.6L. My A/C doesn't blow cold air when I first start in idle. I can sit there 5 minutes and its still not cool or cold air. I have to drive a few miles and put it on speed 3 for it to blow cold air. If I leave it on 4 it just blows cool. I have been researching and I believe its my fan clutch. Any suggestions?

Note: its a 100 degrees outside
Old 08-11-2015, 09:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're air will not blow cold right away your a/c has to build pressure so it takes a bit. And with it being 100 degrees your truck has to convert that hot air to cold so it does take awhile for that as well. Try rolling your windows down and let some of that hot air out and put it on recirculate
Old 08-11-2015, 09:32 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Our trucks are getting old and it's the worse design for A/C. No electric fan to cool the condenser. Even if your fan clutch is good still makes no difference at 1K RPM in traffic stops and goes.

I converted mine to 2010 electric fan, my twin turbo 55 amp fans keep me cool.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:43 AM

Location: From Guam, But in San Antonio, Texas for Injuries Sustained in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hongstertruck
Our trucks are getting old and it's the worse design for A/C. No electric fan to cool the condenser. Even if your fan clutch is good still makes no difference at 1K RPM in traffic stops and goes.

I converted mine to 2010 electric fan, my twin turbo 55 amp fans keep me cool.
Was it somewhat of a "plug and play" type of switch, or did it require some modding of the engine bay when you did the switch up?
Old 08-13-2015, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daks06FX4
You're air will not blow cold right away your a/c has to build pressure so it takes a bit. And with it being 100 degrees your truck has to convert that hot air to cold so it does take awhile for that as well. Try rolling your windows down and let some of that hot air out and put it on recirculate
My Grandad has a 07 and has no issues. I'm really not understanding why his is ice cold and mines not? I would think something is failing?
Old 08-13-2015, 07:04 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LEN671
Was it somewhat of a "plug and play" type of switch, or did it require some modding of the engine bay when you did the switch up?
No, it's not PNP, it requires some modification to fasten the 2010-F150 electric fan onto the radiator, and then you needed an electric fan controller to control how the fan will turn on and off at a certain cooling set points.

Originally Posted by CasperF150
My Grandad has a 07 and has no issues. I'm really not understanding why his is ice cold and mines not? I would think something is failing?
Yours probably has inadequate refrigerant and or issue with blender door or bad condenser dryer etc..
Attached Thumbnails A/C is not cold when first start in idle-bottom_left.jpg   A/C is not cold when first start in idle-bottom_right2.jpg   A/C is not cold when first start in idle-insulation4.jpg   A/C is not cold when first start in idle-new-pics-123.jpg   A/C is not cold when first start in idle-new-pics-119.jpg  

A/C is not cold when first start in idle-insulation1.jpg  
Old 08-13-2015, 07:39 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

Have you checked the clutch fan for proper operation?
Not for the meek, but if you have a large towel or welders glove, try to stop the fan while the engine is running at idle. If the fan is easily stopped by carefully touching the fan blades, the electric clutch (4.6 and 5.4's) is bad, and not drawing enough air through the A/C condenser and radiator at idle. Ford is very generous with a large radiator, so overheating is usually not an issue with a weak fan clutch, but lower air draw does effect the A/C efficiency during idle conditions. If the A/C cools down during forward driving, then its fine.
For this reason, many (including Ford) have gone the way of installing an electric fan.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:08 PM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

I too don't use the 4th speed, 3 seems to blow colder air but not quite as hard. Its just a part of owning a 12 year old truck I guess
Old 08-13-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,706 Posts

I have a 2005 f150 4.6L. My A/C doesn't blow cold air when I first start in idle. I can sit there 5 minutes and its still not cool or cold air. I have to drive a few miles and put it on speed 3 for it to blow cold air. If I leave it on 4 it just blows cool. I have been researching and I believe its my fan clutch. Any suggestions?

Have you had the system checked for leaks or correct charge?

You will see it take a while on startup and degrade at idle, normal.

I would trade the electric tornadoes off of my 13, in a heart beat!

Have the system checked for leaks then have them evac and weigh back in correct amount. For some time now, even with my 08 I traded, the best you would see at the vent was 40.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you resolve your issue?

Quick Reply: A/C is not cold when first start in idle