Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

A/C issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default A/C issues

I have an '05 F-150 crew cab,2wd. 5.4 motor,90k miles. Now here is the problem. When I start the truck and turn the a/c on,it blows cool. Driving around town,it never really gets COLD. If I am on the highway,it's much better. If I am towing my boat,it's even better. Seems like the more load,the better it works. What would cause this? The compressor is working normal. Temperature is normal. Everything is normal except the a/c. I live in TEXAS,so the a/c is mandatory. Any help woulkd be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

That is probably one of the weirdest A/C complaints I think I have ever heard. I have no idea. Good luck and someone more knowledgeable will undoubtedly come along to try to help.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Yeah it's a long...bed =P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy an a/c recharge kit from your local auto store and follow the instructions carefully. My system was low on freon and was acting like yours does. Now it blows cold in traffic, city driving, highway you name it.

Reason why your a/c works better on the highway and while towing is that your rpm's are higher which in turn is spinning the compressor faster. Around town also your not pulling in as much air thru your condensor
Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 PM

I just got a thermometer for it tonight. Put it in the vent to see the temp. It only blows 60 degrees on regular. On recirc., it goes down to 50. That would be good but its only 85 degrees right now. When it's 100 deg. it's not near cold enough. Tomorrow we are gonna put the guages on it. Hopefully it's just low on refrigerant.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:28 AM
Yeah it's a long...bed =P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah that's no bueno. I saw your temps and decided to try mine out. Outside temp is 76 and I registered 41 regular and 37 max a/c on medium fan speed. If it is low on freon and due to your truck not being too old it might be a good idea to have a leak test performed on the system so if there is a leak your not just wasting money putting freon in only to lose it. Good luck with it.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:29 PM

Well everyone,it is now fixed. All I can say is networking works. I spoke to one of my employees about it today. He had a friend that is a GM mechanic and does work on the side. I went after work and saw him. He put the guages on it and there it was. Low. PUt some 134a in it and I can now hang meat in my truck. In his driveway,99 degree ambient temperature,the truck was putting out 49 degree air. On recirc. going 70 mph,it goes down to around 35 degrees. I love it. Lesson here is,always ask around. I was gonna have to pay over $100 for anyone else to do it since I broke my guages. He charged me $30,refrigerant included.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Gas should never go low. Unless ther is a leak. In my 1996 LS400 I have never had to top the gas up.
You dont ned to replac it or yop it up unles it leakes or had to releas the gas for a repar.

Trending Topics

Old 07-02-2009, 01:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by motard1
Well everyone,it is now fixed. All I can say is networking works. I spoke to one of my employees about it today. He had a friend that is a GM mechanic and does work on the side. I went after work and saw him. He put the guages on it and there it was. Low. PUt some 134a in it and I can now hang meat in my truck. In his driveway,99 degree ambient temperature,the truck was putting out 49 degree air. On recirc. going 70 mph,it goes down to around 35 degrees. I love it. Lesson here is,always ask around. I was gonna have to pay over $100 for anyone else to do it since I broke my guages. He charged me $30,refrigerant included.
RHIP.............(military term) Rank Has It's Privileges.......
Sometimes being a good boss helps, glad it worked out for you!
Old 07-02-2009, 03:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

motard 1, i have the same exact problem with my 06 screw. it just never seems to blow COLD air unless i'm out on the road or towing, and even then it's not ice cold. i think i may try charging it.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Shiny
The Gas should never go low. Unless ther is a leak. In my 1996 LS400 I have never had to top the gas up.
You dont ned to replac it or yop it up unles it leakes or had to releas the gas for a repar.
Funny thing is this problem started after a trip to the dealership. I had to take it in for a recall on the brake booster vaccum hose. When I picked it up,I didn't use the a/c. Next time I got in it,it wasn't very cold. Not saying they did anything intentionally,but I hate dealerships. They were trying to sell me every service known to man. Even said I needed to rotate my tires. The tires that were put on the week before.

Quick Reply: A/C issues