Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bypassing a fuse??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypassing a fuse??

I have a fuse that keeps on blowing..... Is it possible to bypass that fuse? the fuse is 102 that is the ignition switch feed. Any help with diagnosing the problem or helping bypass the fuse would be appreciated. Have been unable to start my truck for a week
Old 08-11-2009, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your ignition switch is shorted, if you bypass it that would cause a whole bunch of problems. Go to your ford dealer with your vin # and see if they will sell you an ignition switch. On these newer vehicles its not actually the part you put your key in but a electronic box in the steering column. I would check alldatadiy.com for wiring diagram or parts breakdown.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fuses

Originally Posted by FireMedic1
I have a fuse that keeps on blowing..... Is it possible to bypass that fuse? the fuse is 102 that is the ignition switch feed. Any help with diagnosing the problem or helping bypass the fuse would be appreciated. Have been unable to start my truck for a week
That fuse is blowing for a reason, don't bypass it or you risk wiring damage or worse. Get a wiring diagram and figure out what's on that circuit and start disconnecting them one at a time. Get a breaker the same size and wire it so you can plug it into the fuse block and reset it when it trips. Now start your disconnecting devices until it no longer trips, that's your culprit. Now get whatever that is fixed, be sure to check the wiring to the item also.

Good luck

Paul
Old 08-11-2009, 02:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bypassing a fuse is just asking for trouble, could melt some wiring or worst case scenario burn your truck to the ground!

i would get a manual and a voltmeter and start testing.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Jan 2008 TOTM & Gdreject

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You havnt wired up a remote start or push button start have you? CHeck the wires in the steering colum to make sure none of them (specifically the green/blue and red/blue wires) dont have exposed wires or something.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

fuses are designed as a safety. when they blow, you have a issue, esspically when its a repetitive issue
Old 08-20-2009, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

about 15 years ago my wife's car had a fuse that kept blowing. I kept putting larger and larger fuses in. Finally one night while we were out of state 400 miles from home we stopped at a restaurant. When we came out and started the car it went POOF. Smelled the burnt wires. Didnt know at that time but we shorted out the entire fuse box. We were young, didnt have alot of money on us and we were stranded in Arkansas. Rented a car and drove the family home 8 hrs and came back the next day to take it to a garage to fix. 5 days and $1500 later we learned the lesson the hard way. In the end it was the dome light where to short was.

You have a short somewhere. Take it down to the electrical shop and have them find it if you dont know where it is. Probably take no more than 30 minutes ($80-100) on their machine. Then fix it... do not bypass it.

If you neglect it or worse, you will have a simliar situation to ours. If you do I hope you are close to home.

Quick Reply: Bypassing a fuse??