Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.
View Poll Results: buy it or keep looking
roll the dice 🎲
14.29%
keep on trucking and find another F150
85.71%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

to buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to buy or not to buy

Hi gang, newbie here. I recently sold my heater 95 F150 cause a guy offered me more than I thought I could sell it for. I need s replacement on a limited budget. $7000 is about where I need to be. I have been looking at 04 and newer f150's . I found several, but one in particular had me interested. I drove it and it was pretty good for 133k. Body is very nice with no rust and only minor scuffs. Interior was really good except for the work edge of the drivers seat where one scoot their butt across it. Pretty normal for the year and mileage. My issue, was when the engine warmed and I stopped to check out out with engine running,I heard a loud knock in the engine. Appears to be coming from the front of the right(as you sit behind wheel)valve cover. My research into the 5.4 leads me to believe it suffers from the now famous cam phaser knock. I walked away, despite the salesman telling me he would fix the problem. Talking to him today, I don't think they are going to fix it as a part of the deal. However,I am mechanically inclined and it is an involved repair, but not something I would shy away from if I already owned the truck. I guess I just want to know what you guys and gals think. It also needs front brakes as it had a lot of pulsing in the rotors. So would you beat the guy up and try to get him to really discount it and make your own repairs or just move on down the road.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 1,137 Likes on 820 Posts

If I read that correctly he first said he would fix it and now says it won't? That makes me wonder if he looked into it a bit further and discovered it was something else, something more expensive etc.

Obviously we don't know the entire situation, type of lot you're buying from, if having a used truck for you is also a hobby (working on it frequently) etc. I can only base my opinion off my own experience buying from a general used lot and won't go into detail, but within 24 hours I'd spent $1,000 on various repairs that they put a band-aid on.

Unless you can get it cheap enough to cover your parts and what labor would be from a shop (despite you being the one to fix it) I'd say pass.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:52 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

If they wont cover it, make them discount it. These trucks are pretty good, assuming they're maintained. I wouldn't let phasers scare you away, eventually you'll have to do it anyways. Might as well try to make the dealer pay for it.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Camping enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

X2 ^

And low ball the hell out of them..
Old 06-11-2016, 09:05 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

move along...

Quick Reply: to buy or not to buy