Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

bumper strength and pulling lbs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bumper strength and pulling lbs.

i have a 2008 ford f150 screw with a 4.6. the bumper is the regular black covered bumper nothing commercial etc. I was going to pick up my boat (used but new to me) and the guy started laughing at me... said what in the hell was i thinking... I thought the bumpers were good for 500 lbs tongue weight and abouty 5K trailer weight. I read the book with the truck and that is the numbers i got. My gross pulling weight is 6400 i believe. To my knowledge this boat weighs about 3500 lbs... but not 100 percent sure on that. it is a regal 19foot sebring open bow. single axle trailer. i do realize a hitch is best and i plan on doing a hitch but i just wanted to get boat him to play with it..

thanks in advance for any input
Old 03-16-2008, 04:40 PM
J_Jones FX4

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be fine. Tell that dude to go screw himself. Obvisoulsy having a Reese hitch or something like that is your best way to pull something. But you will be fine.

I have a buddy that pulls a 35' Velosity twin engine on a tandum with a freakin 06' V6 Xterra. Yeah he spins all four wheels comin out of the water at times but it can be done.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:36 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I personally would not pull that weight on the bumper. I am sure it will do it. I am sure you will not have a problem. I have had a bad expierence with bumper pull on a trailer that was well under the bumbers capacity.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somewhere on the bumper it will have the weight limits stamped into it. (top or bottom) Should be near the hole to bolt the ball or the holes for the saftey chains.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NGM
I personally would not pull that weight on the bumper. I am sure it will do it. I am sure you will not have a problem. I have had a bad expierence with bumper pull on a trailer that was well under the bumbers capacity.
I towed a boat with a bumper mounted hitch on a Bronco tha twas within the weight limits and it bent the brackets. I guessed that going over bumps put excessive weight on it. Nothing will beat a class III receiver.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:34 PM

i do appreciate the input... yeah i did not haul the boat today.. I got too much money invested in boat and truck to get to anxious. I did go ahead and order one online... man they (hitches) are so much cheaper online even with shipping than buying locally.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:22 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iluvmyford
i do appreciate the input... yeah i did not haul the boat today.. I got too much money invested in boat and truck to get to anxious. I did go ahead and order one online... man they (hitches) are so much cheaper online even with shipping than buying locally.
That is sooo true! I got my Hidden Hitch on eBay for about $135, including shipping.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:27 PM

dewman has your hidden hitch done good for you? There was 5 bux difference for the drawtite framemax and the hidden hitch. but the hidden hitch had only a year warranty vs. limited lifetime. But I was told the hidden hitch would look better due to how it mounts.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:07 PM

well i bought a hitch off the net.. made by drawtite. cost 115.xx from etrailer.com ordered monday at 2pm and it was at my door tuesday at around noon..... that is service if i have ever seen it. ... now i go get boat tonight.... and start the cleaning process..
Old 03-20-2008, 09:54 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iluvmyford
well i bought a hitch off the net.. made by drawtite. cost 115.xx from etrailer.com ordered monday at 2pm and it was at my door tuesday at around noon..... that is service if i have ever seen it. ... now i go get boat tonight.... and start the cleaning process..
Sorry I didn't see your other post until now.

The Hidden Hitch has been great so far, no problems with installation either.
It mounts so that all you see is the receiver end sticking out under the rear bumper. It sits about 3/4" below the bumper.

Quick Reply: bumper strength and pulling lbs.