Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bullydog codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 10:02 AM
rdh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bullydog codes

I just bought a 2004 FX4 with 95000 miles. It has a 4" leveling kit and 35" Toyo tires. I have three codes on the bullydog. PO174, system too lean; P0306, cylinder 6 misfire; and P1635, GS: 5 volt reference curcuit. The truck starts and runs great except when I ease on the gas on an upgrade, then it starts misfiring. I took the codes to NAPA who called a mechanic who said it may be the computer has not been programmed to the tires. He said I should take it to a 4X4 shop and have the computer "flashed'.

Anybody familiar with this problem? What should I expect to pay to have the computer flashed?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by rdh
I just bought a 2004 FX4 with 95000 miles. It has a 4" leveling kit and 35" Toyo tires.
No 4" leveling systems out there. You could have a 3" level, or the 4" Rancho lift"

Originally Posted by rdh
I have three codes on the bullydog. PO174, system too lean; P0306, cylinder 6 misfire; and P1635, GS: 5 volt reference curcuit. The truck starts and runs great except when I ease on the gas on an upgrade, then it starts misfiring. I took the codes to NAPA who called a mechanic who said it may be the computer has not been programmed to the tires. He said I should take it to a 4X4 shop and have the computer "flashed'. Anybody familiar with this problem? What should I expect to pay to have the computer flashed?
You should be able to correct your tire size with that Bullydog programmer, that takes care of P1635 for free.

Swap the COPs on 6 with another plug and see if it changes, if it doesn't probably time for a plug change, check out my stickey at the top of this forum, that should get you started on P0306.

Do you have an aftermarket intake, it could not be playing well with the Bullydog and causing P0174.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have never had the plugs changed, most likely its the plugs. To be honest from what I have heard from many people your lucky to have made it to 95k if you havent changed the plugs before. I had the same code, plus one for Cylinder 8 misfire. When you are driving around 50 or 60 around 1500 rpm, does your truck shake back and forth and feel like its losing power?
Old 09-30-2019, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Bully Dog Tuner and Misfire

Originally Posted by rdh
I just bought a 2004 FX4 with 95000 miles. It has a 4" leveling kit and 35" Toyo tires. I have three codes on the bullydog. PO174, system too lean; P0306, cylinder 6 misfire; and P1635, GS: 5 volt reference curcuit. The truck starts and runs great except when I ease on the gas on an upgrade, then it starts misfiring. I took the codes to NAPA who called a mechanic who said it may be the computer has not been programmed to the tires. He said I should take it to a 4X4 shop and have the computer "flashed'.

Anybody familiar with this problem? What should I expect to pay to have the computer flashed?
I am tired of this truck and trading it in for a better vehicle I took the tune out and removed the unit from my 2008 ford f150 xlt and now my check engine light is gone and no more misfire on cylinder number 3

BTW you ECO BOOST Fans your having a misfire on 3 and 4 most of the times because of the oil build up on the 2 intake valves from the valve cover hose spreading that oil just in cylinder 3 and 4 intake valves instead of spreading it evenly threw out the cylinders to burn it all off.

You have to do a intake cleaning on them valves without trying to replace the head and you can NOT! use sea foam or any other cleaning while the engine is running or you will burn a hole in your turbo because the intake valve remains open on all cylinders as the exhaust valve is wide open to push out all the exhaust of the cylinder and if you use sea foam or any other stuff it is going to swirl back up that intake valve and heat up that turbo too hot!

I got this info from a youtube video from fordmechanic or what ever his name is that has all those repair videos for f150's, im just spreading the word for him.

Last edited by rocxylemmon; 09-30-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:56 PM

Received 277 Likes on 245 Posts

FordTechMakuloco?
Old 10-01-2019, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShirBlackspots
FordTechMakuloco?
Yes! Thats it.

Quick Reply: Bullydog codes