Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Broken Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Speedometer

My speedometer has quit working its sitting on 120mph. Has anyone else had this problem? I am thinking its the speedsensor does anyone have any pictures or know the location of the speedsensor?
Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Speed pulse comes off of the side of the transmission. The signal is sent to the PCM, and can also be found in the OBD II diag port as well as in one of the two connectors that plug at the top of the cluster.

Sorry, I do not have my schematic book with me right now to give you color codes. You can try this though: remove the bottom trim panel (underneath the steering column) which will then give you access to the two small bolts that nee to be removed to remove the cluster cover. Lift up at the sides to unsnal, then pull up and back to release the back two. You should now see the two large wiring harnesses that connect to the top of the cluster. Remove each one by pressing down on the locking tab, then slide back the release. Plug each one back in and see if the speedometer needle resets itself. Hopefully this will work. My guess is that the cluster is bad, and not the speed sensor. Does your cruise still work? Tach? If so, that would verify the speed sensor is still good.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I tried that and it didnt work. And the cruise isnt working either. Do you think that would be speed sensor?
Old 11-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Certified Ford Technician

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the sensor that controls your speedometer is on the top of the rear differential there is also one on the trans but thats not the one you want if your speedo is bad you'll have to have a dealer replace it since the unit is programmed specifically for you vin
Old 11-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Certified Ford Technician

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if the cruise isn't getting a speed sensor input it will not work but the cruise is controlled by the instrument cluster module which also controls the speedo

Quick Reply: Broken Speedometer