Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Broken Sparkplug Question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken Sparkplug Question.

Did the dreaded tune up today. Previous owner changed plugs because the newer plugs were in there. Previous owner must have broken the spark plug furthest back on drivers side and just left it. Trucks been driving fine, didn't even know It was broken.
Problem is its broken in a bad way. The nut and top part that goes into the coil looks like it broke off. There's a little nub about a 1/8" sticking up. The lisle tool won't work for this right.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DSNY30
Did the dreaded tune up today. Previous owner changed plugs because the newer plugs were in there. Previous owner must have broken the spark plug furthest back on drivers side and just left it. Trucks been driving fine, didn't even know It was broken.
Problem is its broken in a bad way. The nut and top part that goes into the coil looks like it broke off. There's a little nub about a 1/8" sticking up. The lisle tool won't work for this right.

by what I am looking at, it would appear if you were to clear some of that junk out of there, there might actually still be a head to get a socket on. if not, you can try (thought it is in a bad spot) getting some plyers to grip and loosen. if the spark plug really was broken. you would have noticed by now
Old 11-25-2015, 03:28 PM

Thanks for your help. I'm gonna try and get an auto video inspector from harbor freight and see what the hell is in there.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like the same problem I had when I did my plug change. Two of the sleeves around the ceramic came off (the nut and threaded metal part), just leaving the ceramic part of the plug and the lower part of the two piece metal in there. I had to break off the top ceramic part , which just left the bottom metal sleeve and the ceramic inside that sleeve. I took the metal sleeve that came out, put it back in there around the plug with the socket wrench and wiggled it hard until it broke off. Then I could use the Lisle tool, which got them both out perfectly.

It sounds confusing when I type it, but it is not hopeless at all.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you take a socket extension and ease it to the side of that ceramic then tilt it, it will break that part off and you can pull it out with needle nose pliers. Then use the lisle tool. It will be able to engage and do its thing. All three of mine that broke did so in the same fashion as yours.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:52 PM

Want a good laugh. Turns out the plug wasn't broke in there. I previously thought the 9/16" nut on the plug had broke off because the socket would just spin in the head. I bought lisle tool and an Otc plug tool. Both didn't work. Bought an auto inspection camera and could see the nut down there, so I was like what the hell is going on.
I then break the porcelain tip off to see more and see that it's a champion plug, then realize that the nut is a 5/8" so the other socket was just spinning on top of it. I was relieved but felt like an idiot. Lol

Name:  ForumRunner_20151208_174313.png
Views: 3413
Size:  375.1 KB
Old 12-08-2015, 05:54 PM

Previous owner must have put 1 champion plug in there because the other 7 were the newer upgraded plugs
Old 12-09-2015, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear you got it.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:03 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

On a kind of separate note, how does that camera work? I thought about getting one but I haven't yet used HF electronics
Old 12-09-2015, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by LaMartian
On a kind of separate note, how does that camera work? I thought about getting one but I haven't yet used HF electronics
It actually work pretty damn good for a harbor freight tool. I think I paid like $70 bucks on black Friday. Clear picture with led lights to light ur picture. The cable is pretty long to so you can get deep into places.

Quick Reply: Broken Sparkplug Question.