Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

broken plug... threads broke off nut

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken plug... threads broke off nut

So my local mechanic is changin my plugs.. ran seafoam thru my gas 2 weeks prior and soaked them a few times before... anyway 7 out of 8 came out fine with workin them back and forth and lubing them. problem lies in the last plug he was workin it and it snapped off leavin the threads of the plug still in the head...

What is our best plan of attack to get this out.. gonna try an extractor but i dont think its gonna work... Ford dealership told us we may have to pull the head off and we really dont want to get into that.....
Old 04-28-2011, 01:44 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

lisle tool...

i think the case you describe is the same as the last spark plug in the picture: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/5-4l-3v...x2/#post704492
Old 04-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Nothing rattle canned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pretty good outcome...7 out of 8! How many miles and year of your truck?
Old 04-28-2011, 01:50 PM

we have the lisle tool and thats not how it broke.. wish it was... it snapped right after the nut leavin all the threads in the head.

My truck is in kms and the truck currently has 140000kms and its an 05
Old 04-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Nothing rattle canned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So that's just about 87k miles...kind of early, wonder if that's why the good outcome. I have 80K and thinking about doing them soon. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The lisle tool only works once the threads from the actual plug is removed. The lisle tool will not remove the electrode sheild if the spark plug nut is still installed.

A few Questions.
-When you say it snapped. You mean that the "hex" part of the spark plug snapped off of the actual plug threads. Or did you snap the threads off of your lisle tool?
-What cylinder did this happen in.
-did the porcelain piece come out of the plug?
Old 04-29-2011, 03:56 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfpak
we have the lisle tool and thats not how it broke.. wish it was... it snapped right after the nut leavin all the threads in the head.

My truck is in kms and the truck currently has 140000kms and its an 05
that is a very strange place to broke... certainly, the lisle tool wont work on that case. i would think that you will need to broke more of the ceramic and try to find something like a helicoil extractor in that size. that could work... also, if you keep soaking that in pb blaster or similar and you can grab the ceramic with a long pliers, maybe you can remove the ceramic part, and just leave the metallic on it, so, more space to work just with a helicoil extractor.

call the guys in lisle and see if they have a tool for it. most likely they do. you need something similar to the one that you have, maybe just a little bigger to fit in there.

i guess your situation is like the one inthe spark plug at the bottom of this pic:

also,check this thread: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...l-diy-way.html

Last edited by picaflor; 04-29-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Have you read through the spark plug sticky at the top of this forum? This has happened before with repairable results.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

That spark plug must really be stuck in there to snap off right under the nut. I think you can still get her out though. Like Picaflor said, if the ceramic piece is still in there, soak it and go for that piece first. Once that's out, then a normal extractor should work on getting the threads out. I'm assuming the shield won't come out when you do this, so then you'll need the Lisle tool to get the shield out. Sounds like a job and half with that spark plug. Good luck, that's really rotten luck for that to happen.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:07 PM

yes it is like the bottom 1 in that pic... we have removed most of the ceramic and can get an extractor to lock up on it but the sob wont budge still... we have been soakin it for a few days and we r considerin usin heat on it at this point...

he said its 2nd hole back driver side...and the boot had alot of rust on it.. water must have got into it....

Quick Reply: broken plug... threads broke off nut