Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

broken exhaust manifold studs...done

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default broken exhaust manifold studs...done

Hey all, So I just replaced my passenger side exhaust manifold and the 3 broken studs. I was going to write up how I did it step by step but I now see its already been done on here, but I figured I'd post something, hopefully it can help someone else. It sucked...but not as bad as I thought. I had two studs broken off below the surface on the rear most cylinder ( and one hall of an exhaust leak) and 1 with with about 1/4 inch sticking out on the 1st cylinder on bottom that broke when I tried to loosen it. I didn't have to pull or lift the engine which I have seen suggested in some threads, but I did pull the starter (which was the hardest part since that pesky top bolt had been replaced with a dif size at some point.) I pulled the y pipe as well, that's really the only way I could get the manifold out. I unbolted the ac compressor just so I could each in around the uca mount when I was working on the 1st cylinder, but it wast necessary. I used a 90 angle air drill and a set of cobalt bits the I cut down so I could fit between the frame and head, if it wasn't for a right angle drill I would have to pull the motor, but I got one at harbor freight for 35 bucks, and it was money well spent. The two studs on the rear cylinder spun further in while I was drilling, so I chased the threads and they came right out with an easy out. The stud on the 1st cylinder was more tricky, welding nuts to it and trying an easy out made it clear it wasn't going anywhere. I drilled out the bold into the head about 1/8 in with a 3/8 bit to get through the damaged threads and it finally came out like the rest. Putting it all back together was a piece of cake, a new manifold and all new studs cost me less than 115. I covered everything in antisieze, but hopefully it won't matter and i won't ever have to repair it again. At any rate hope this helps someone out there, and if you need help or have questions let me know. Time to go tow my camper and see if this fixes my weird idle issue that no one seems to be able to explain.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:42 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Good work. I hope I never have to do this job. Even if it goes well it looks like a terrible job.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:59 AM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Thanks for the write up. I will be needing all the info I can get as my leak is getting worse
Old 06-07-2014, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got quoted 1100 from the dealership for this job!

Quick Reply: broken exhaust manifold studs...done