Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Broke my 4x.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Broke my 4x.

The other night. Was on a long drive home pulling trailer down a dirt road. Encountered sand . Started spinning alittle do stopped and put in 4low. Only engaged 4high as the light read, but **** turned to low. Tired foolishly started to accelerate and move with a bit of rpm when there was a loud clankish slam bang. Been having probs with not always engaging so I did usual in neutral turn 4 **** back and forth push and pull on it. Went under and tapped the shift motor with hammer (it's worked before) trying to get 4lo engaged. No good. **** at 4 high tried to commence forward slightly desperate and clanked a few more times messed with it awhile and it kept trying . Checked vac lines at wheels etc. if in 4x it's makes this horrid clank metal banging sound ... Ended up getting stuck with trailer. Removed trailer. Dug. Got my truck out. Then.... During my approach trying to recover trailer got really stuck. After 12 hours and 3 diff tow trucks. (First two got stuck) finally got out. Worst mission ever. Anyway . . Any idea where to start checking? The noise seems to be on outside. At wheel(s) any clues as to what I f'd up. On my truck. Cvs? Iwes? Really hoping nothing major like diff gears. Any help where to start would be appreciated. With all else going on rather not take to shop initially if don't have to. Or just start replacing all the 4 x parts. Hoping someone knowledgable may be able to help save time and money.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:48 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Read through this thread, get a vacuum pump with a guage, then check everything. You'll find your problem/problems:

https://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-di...m-esof-186872/
Old 09-12-2015, 02:21 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Sounds like IWE actuators
Old 09-13-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I'd say IWE. Have the front bearing assemblies ever been changed? I bought a cheap bearing assembly online once and it didn't slide into the IWE right. Which I didn't find that out until I was in 4x4 and all I could hear was a load clicking noise. It was because the teeth on the back of the bearing assembly wasn't seated into the teeth on the actuator. So when the cv axle would spin both sets of teeth would make that clicking noise. Ended up change the IWE and bearing assembly out.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:36 AM

Or take the dust cap off your bearing assembly and see if the nut on the cv axle is loose or if the cv axle is broke behind that nut.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks For the reply. Seems I need to most likely start replacing most of the 4x system . Sure is great having 4x4 (my first 4wheel truck) but it sure can be a pain in the... When things go wrong. Appreciate your help along this never ending learning experience . Of troubles. Trial error and off-roading ;
Old 09-15-2015, 06:04 PM

No problem man. Let us know what you find out. Yeah that's how I've been learning on these trucks. I use google a lot too. There is a couple good videos on there that shows how the 4x4 system works. But tearing the front end apart and changing stuff out is what helped me better understand it. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Broke my 4x.