Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

break issues????

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default break issues????

This morning when I got home from work I decided to give my truck a quick wash The drive home was about 35 minute and I did not do any heavy breaking or towing anything.

I washed the truck that took about 30 minutes and it took about 10 minutes to get things ready so it was about 40 minutes.

I washed the enter truck then I went to wash the rims. I did the passenger side of the truck what was the way the little wind was blowing Then I moved to the rear drivers side and then to the front driver side. I sprayed water on the rim and I got steam from the break. I only got the steam from the driver side front.

Is it normal for one break to get that hot over the rest and that that long to cool off. or could I have an issue with the caliper.

the truck is not acting like it is pulling or have a break issue. I just want to check to see if this could be normal before I go to the dealer.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

You did not mention the mileage on your brakes, nor if they have been replaced once before or recently. I wash my truck frequently at one of those coin operated wash centers (I live in an apartment complex that does not have facilities for washing vehicles). I have to drive to the place, so the trucks brakes get used "normally". I do not have any "steam" or heat issues.

It sounds to me like you have a caliper sticking. I'd remove that wheel, and inspect that caliper to see that it can slide left/right freely on its pins. If you are not capable of checking this, take it to a shop as soon as possible to avoid damaging the rotor. It may already be too late, especially if the brakes have high mileage on them.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the Truck is an 08 I got it mid december and it has about 6281 miles on it. they have not been replaced. I have not even taken the wheels off.

Last edited by rickyp; 05-11-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 587 Posts

I smell a trip to the dealer coming in the VERY near future. I would have it checked ASAP.

EDIT- Do you feel the truck pulling to either direction (would be to the left) or maybe a shimmy under braking?

Quick Reply: break issues????