Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Braking issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 09:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Braking issue

So I've been trying to search everywhere for my problem and cant find what I'm looking for. I have a shudder when braking and can't seem to figure it out. I know it's not my front rotors because there is no vibration in the steering wheel. I changed my rear rotors and all park brake parts a few months ago and everything was fine. My wife had my truck out of state for a few months and since then it has been shuddering under hard braking and at slower speeds. I figured it had to be my rear rotors since the vibration felt like it was coming from the rear. I changed my rear rotors and pads today and still have the same issue. A few months ago when I originally put now rears on a park brake parts, the park brake was pretty much disintegrated. Today when I took the rotors off I found I have an axle seal leaking a little but none of this seems relevant to why I'm still getting shuddering. Any help is appreciated!
Old 10-11-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Is the abs kicking on prematurely??
Old 10-11-2014, 10:06 PM

Received 263 Likes on 213 Posts

I had a shudder on my mustang when braking, found out that I had 2 bad tires. I only found this out, when a friend decided to rotate the front tires to the rear. Don't know why the shudder didn't follow but it worked. I went through the changing brake pads and rotors and no help.
Tom
Old 10-11-2014, 10:25 PM

It definitely does not feel like the abs kicking on and off.

I thought tires too since I had to buy two new ones when my wife had my truck but I rotated those today as well and still have the same shudder which eliminates that in my eyes. I don't feel like it's anything with the tires.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

had the same problem and when I change the front rotor I found the problem.
There was a rust ring bubble on the inside of the rotor it had worn a groove in the pads. Some of the ring had broke off it spots. So in heavy breaking or breaking at high speed it would shake a lot.
Turning the rotor would have most likely fixed it but I already had new ones
Old 10-11-2014, 11:01 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Maybe speed sensor in the hubs. With an axel leak the sensor can have crud on it.
Is it in the pedal or the truck?
It was a common issue in GM trucks were the speeds sensors would get crud on the them.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by haha
Maybe speed sensor in the hubs. With an axel leak the sensor can have crud on it. Is it in the pedal or the truck? It was a common issue in GM trucks were the speeds sensors would get crud on the them.
It's in the truck itself. The way it feels points to rear rotors all day but obviously not the case. I'll have to check the speed sensor when I tackle the seal the weekend after next.

Quick Reply: Braking issue