Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

brakes for 05 2wd screw

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes for 05 2wd screw

i had new tires put on recently and the shop told me that i needed brakes asap. they also told me that the brake job will cost about $1200 because i needed new rotors all the way around and the ones in the front were special because of some bearings being built in and they couldn't be turned. i can't find info on special rotors, so are they just screwing with me or what? truck has 50k miles and i haven't done a brake job since i bought it at 25k miles. what should a complete brake job cost?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by jaysuon
i had new tires put on recently and the shop told me that i needed brakes asap. they also told me that the brake job will cost about $1200 because i needed new rotors all the way around and the ones in the front were special because of some bearings being built in and they couldn't be turned. i can't find info on special rotors, so are they just screwing with me or what? truck has 50k miles and i haven't done a brake job since i bought it at 25k miles. what should a complete brake job cost?
Old thread I know, but I found it searching and figured I could answer.

The front rotors of a 2WD come with the bearings pressed into them. I just bought a pair yesterday and autozone for $83 each. Napa wanted $135 each.

I don't think that shop was screwing with you, stuff just adds up. Shops will likely buy from whoever they have the best relationship with. That doesn't always mean they are going with the least expensive part for you, but instead whoever they buy the most stuff from for whatever reason.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:23 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I am always wary of the old "it looks like your pads are worn" number. I think this is the biggest money maker for these shops. Yes, $1200 is way too much. DIY is around $400. I would think a fair shop price should be around $700.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:01 AM

Apparently these trucks have a number of brake TSBs.

- The rotors are usually grooved by the time the pads need replacing.
- The 2WD front rotors have pressed in ball bearings that are sold as an assembly making them more expensive than your typical truck rotor.
- The calipers can get clogged anywhere from 50k to 100k miles.
- The brake hoses deteriorate which not only clog the calipers, but act as a check valve causing your pads to drag.
- The front hub nut is not re-usable. Napa wants $10 each but didn't have stock so I bought them through a friend at the dealer for $20 each with the wholesale discount. Regular walk-in price was something like $25 each iirc.

So yes pads and rotors can be found for $400. I sourced pads, rotors, front calipers, and front nuts for $473 (excl tax). Figure 6 hours labor at $75 a hour and you're at $850-$900. If I would have sourced everything from napa but the nuts I would be at $800 just in parts. If I would have sourced everything from the dealer walk-in price, we're looking at $1000 in parts, so I can see ways to reach that $1200 quote both using inexpensive, and expensive parts.

We don't know the parts breakdown that was quoted so really there's no way to say it's too much. If that included calipers, hoses, pads and rotors then I'd say it's a decent price. If that was just pads & rotors: They're trying to take you to Screwsville.

Quick Reply: brakes for 05 2wd screw