Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Rotors

This question is probably in the forum somewhere, but 45 minutes of searching is enough!

I have a 2005 4X2 STX. I've installed ceramic brake pads all around. The rear rotors are in need of turning AGAIN! I had them turned about 2-3K miles ago.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Or, could something else be making the rear end of the truck bounce when I brake?

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Punisher

What do you mean by bounce? Normally a warped rotor would make the vehicle feel like it is surging to a stop. Bounce is more associated with suspension components i.e. springs, shocks, bushing mounts, etc...

Is this something that happens all the time or only for the first 10 or 15 mins? What kind of tires/size are you running? How many miles on the vehicle? Any suspension mods/upgrades? If so, when?
Old 12-03-2009, 08:10 AM

Bounce was probably a poor choice of words. It feels like warped rotors. I had the same problem previously, and turning the rotors fixed it.
There have been no mods to the suspension, it does it all the time, and is more pronounced the harder the pedal is pressed. Loading doesn't make a difference, although I haven't had it heavily loaded lately.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:52 AM

HI Guys,

At 48k miles, my 06 4x4 needed brakes. The brake shop told me that the rotors couldn't be turned 'cause they were at minimum tolerance without being ground. They said newer vehicle rotors were designed to be "disposable" and usually can't be resurfaced. They also told me they wanted almost $1200.00 to do the job. So................
I bought new rotors all around and better guality non ceranic pads ($340 total at Advanced auto parts) and spent 2 hours changing parts. 3k on the new brakes and no problems.

If someone turned (ground) your old rotors under minimum tolerance they would be more prone to warping.

Do you also have new ceramic brakes on the front?

Bob the Fool
Old 12-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

At the very least, I'd have the rear rotors mic'd by someone to see if indeed they are too thin, and continue to warp. Then go from there if you suspect the rotors are causing the bouncing effect.

Does this happen only when you apply the brakes?
Old 12-03-2009, 09:13 AM

Bob, yes, ceramics all around.
Bucko, yes, only when braking.
BTW, Bucko, your signature quote is great!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

I'll be interested to see if the rotors are below the stamped required thickness; by law, a shop or establishment is not supposed to turn the roters below this minimum required thickness. If yours were turned below this, I'd find another shop!

Do you drive through lots of wet condidtions? Through water? These could cause a rotor to warp.

I'd also check the disc caliper mounting brackets to see if they are bent, causing the rotors to get hot and warp due to the brakes being applied unevenly.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:47 AM

Thanks,
I'm going to have them turned again, and make sure the calipers are floating properly while I have the wheels off.
As far as wet conditions, well, yeah, I live in south Florida, lotsa rain, etc.
I discounted that cause because the fronts have been good, no warping.
A friend also suggested a partial bleeding, in case some bad fluid is pooled back there, delaying release.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by DanC
Thanks,
I'm going to have them turned again, and make sure the calipers are floating properly while I have the wheels off.
As far as wet conditions, well, yeah, I live in south Florida, lotsa rain, etc.
I discounted that cause because the fronts have been good, no warping.
A friend also suggested a partial bleeding, in case some bad fluid is pooled back there, delaying release.
Your friends suggestion is a good one; anything that would cause the caliper to bind, putting pad pressure on the rotors is going to heat them up, making them more prone to warp. Espesially when they are hot from binding, then get cooled rapidly from driving through water.

Check the thickness first before turning them again. If they have warped for the second or third time, chance are they will not be thick enough to have the warped condition machined out.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Also an out of adjustment parking/emerg brake will cause the rotors to overheat as well. Rear rotors should be farely inexpensive, I'd replace them if they've already been turned and warped again. There could be heat stress (micro-cracks) in the rotor causing it to fail early....I typically have had poor luck with turned rotors (work trucks) and just replace with new, the savings in aggravation is worth the cost in dollars.

Ian

Quick Reply: Brake Rotors