Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake lines

I just replaced my front rubber brake lines with Goodridge braided metal lines. I also replaced the middle line that goes from the hard lines down to the rear axle and splits back into hard line. My question is this, why can't i find braided lines that replace the two rear lines. All the kits I've found only have the three lines I've already installed. Hope that all made sense (if you look at your truck it should). Any Info/advise? By the way, my truck is an 05 Lariat supercrew 4x4.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I can understand why you'd replace the rubber lines to the wheels, as the inner rubber get's soft, and can cause a restriction of brake fluid to the caliper. Why the hard line replacement? Do you live in an area that has salty roads in the winter, or did you damage them somehow?

As to rear stainless, you may have to make them yourself using a Russell type kit unless someone else knows of a vendor.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:09 PM

I didn't replace any hard lines. Our trucks have 5 rubber lines on them. 2 in the front, 3 in the rear (1 on each caliper and 1 in the middle of the rear axle). I can only find kits to replace three of the lines. I can't find any metal lines to replace the rubber ones connected to the rear calipers.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, you might need to make your own. I wonder if the reason has to do with different lengths of brake lines depending on the truck configuration (I'm just guessing here).

Have you noticed any difference in brake pedal feel or braking performance?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:52 AM

No I haven't really notice a huge difference, but then again I haven't had a chance to do any heavy braking or anything. I mostly replaced them because my old one were collapsing on the inside causing my brakes to stay on slightly for a while after using them.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Darn. I was hoping that it would take away that first inch of travel that doesnt seem to do anything when you press on the brake. I was thinking about replacing these lines with stainless steel braided when I swap out the brake pads (and possibly the rotors if I can afford it) but I am not sure its worth the cost.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:20 AM

After I get a few miles on them and
really get to try them out I'll report back if there worth it

Quick Reply: Brake lines