Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Brake dust removal...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Jarhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake dust removal...

Anyone have any tips for removing [baked on] brake dust from chrome wheels? I use to use Professionals Favorite No More Dust (some of the best stuff I've ever used), advanced auto parts is the only ones that carry it and unfortunately we don't have those in SoCal. I tried a myriad of things, from different wheel cleaners (that is suppose to remove dust), simple green and a soft brush, non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner and so on. Nothing seems to want to take this stuff. The only thing I found that works (somewhat), but is very time consuming is simichrome chrome polish. I only did a small spot to see if it was going to ruin the chrome, because I don't if the factory wheels have that clear coating on them...they don't appear to. If anyone has any tips I'm willing to listen. Thanks for any help...
Old 11-24-2009, 10:42 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by KSrednek
Anyone have any tips for removing [baked on] brake dust from chrome wheels? I use to use Professionals Favorite No More Dust (some of the best stuff I've ever used), advanced auto parts is the only ones that carry it and unfortunately we don't have those in SoCal. I tried a myriad of things, from different wheel cleaners (that is suppose to remove dust), simple green and a soft brush, non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner and so on. Nothing seems to want to take this stuff. The only thing I found that works (somewhat), but is very time consuming is simichrome chrome polish. I only did a small spot to see if it was going to ruin the chrome, because I don't if the factory wheels have that clear coating on them...they don't appear to. If anyone has any tips I'm willing to listen. Thanks for any help...

The factory pads are HORRIBLE. I feel your pain, I used 'very fine' steel wool and a mild detergant on my '06. When I traded in for the new truck I had the dealer install hawk semi-ceramic pads on the fronts. No more dust. Best of luck, I feel your pain...well not any more.

Ian
Old 11-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The factory pads may be horrible in producing dust, but good for stopping. Go ceramic next time you need pads.

As to dust removal, Mothers polish works great. Once you have the dust removed, use a good polish to keep the dust from sticking, and wash often. My wifes BMW seems to produce brake dust by just sitting parked in the garage! I wash the wheels at least twice a week, and use polish (theres one for sale specifically fore wheels and brake dust) to help the dust just rinse off. It works pretty good.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 11-25-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:45 AM

You remove dust by using Castrol super clean for wheels. first of all wash by using castrol super clean & then clean the water by fabric & then wax the rims.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Heh, 'member'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dust just wipes right off my aluminum rims with a wet shop rag, are the chrome wheels that much worse? I have used a bit of citrus degreaseer on a tough spot but nothing that required any serious scrubbing.

Stay on top of it once you do get them clean, it will probably make things much easier in the future. I see so many f-150s and expeditions around here with nice wheels that are black from caked on brake dust.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

purple power. if your letting brake dust sit on there that long, you dont wash your wheels enough.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:09 PM
RejectedReject

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

The easiest way to get it off is with a Magic Eraser. Spray it with windex and the stuff comes off no problem. Don't do this all the time but for a 1 time severe duty cleaning this will be the fastest easiest way to do it. As others have said you should apply some kind of wax or polish. I throw a coat of NXT 2.0 on my wheels when I wax the rig.

Trending Topics

Old 11-25-2009, 02:35 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Not to steal the thread but what about black wheels? I am scared to use any cleaners just cause I dont want it to remove the black paint.. maybe a polish would help... I am not really sure what to use... and YES the stock pads are horrible, cant wait to upgrade.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Ballin STX
Not to steal the thread but what about black wheels? I am scared to use any cleaners just cause I dont want it to remove the black paint.. maybe a polish would help... I am not really sure what to use... and YES the stock pads are horrible, cant wait to upgrade.
Don't use my steel wool suggestion.

Ian
Old 11-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Jarhead

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will give some of these a shot when I get the chance. Once I (if I) get them clean I will polish them to aid in the ease of removal.

Unfortunately I had to leave my truck parked for about 2 months in the sun, I washed it before I parked it, but not right before I parked it...probably 3 or 4 days before, even in those few days the build up was horrible due to the wife and I house hunting and driving all over God's creation.

Quick Reply: Brake dust removal...