Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default brake dust

I have a 05 4x4 ex cab and my front wheels have eccessive brake dust. I have to clean my wheels every week so they will not be ruined.My truck has 44000 miles and I have replaced the factory pads once. Both sets of pads were equally dusty.Are there any other after market pads that I can try?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem on my 05 Scab 4x4. I'm curious what pads others are using, and if they cut down on dust. I'm almost positive I'm still on the factory pads, just bought the truck w/20k on it.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

others may be able to help with a pad that is not ceramic and that doesnt put out much dust... in my experience ceramic is about the best... what dust that it does put out is very minimal and also not dark in color.

You may also look at some wheel coatings that may help to let the dust slide off instead of welding itself to the wheel.. nothing is going to work perfectly for this but all the help is better.

I am saving for some chrome wheels and the design of the wheel is one thing i am looking at to see how much brake dust i can keep from showing in the front of the wheel. i know they sell dust shields but I have heard people say they help keep heat in and help warp your rotors.
If anyone has any experience with the dust shield let me know.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Karl..I had to go with better pads with all 4 F series trucks I have had and will do so with my new one as well.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:40 AM

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by crazykarl
i know they sell dust shields but I have heard people say they help keep heat in and help warp your rotors.
If anyone has any experience with the dust shield let me know.
A guy at work put the shields on and loves them I mentioned to him about the heat affect on the rotors and he claims they have put some kind of vents or fins to help in cooling them as far as I know he hasn't had a problem yet and it's been about 3 months since he put them on. I will to talk to him and find out who makes them he has told me before but I don't remember.

Last edited by squirrelyyy; 07-21-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 AM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the Ceramic pads. I've heard that they don't last as long as the Metallic but the brake dust is minimal. When it's time for new pads on my truck I'll be going with Ceramic pads because it's a pain to clean that crap off my wheels.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by squirrelyyy
A guy at work put the shields on and loves them I mentioned to him about the heat affect on the rotors and he claims they have put some kind of vents or fins to help in cooling them as far as I know he hasn't had a problem yet and it's been about 3 months since he put them on. I will to talk to him and find out who makes them he has told me before but I don't remember.
please do get more info if you will.... this could be a good thing,,, errrr great thing.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:08 AM

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by crazykarl
please do get more info if you will.... this could be a good thing,,, errrr great thing.
ok sorry for the delay the guy hasn't been in work until yesterday the make of the shields are kleen wheels he said they are like $55 a pair he thinks they are great and he hasn't had a problem with them
http://kleenwheels.com/default.htm
Old 07-25-2008, 03:15 PM

thanks and i have heard of them before...
Old 07-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Justin

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen those clean wheel thingies before. Also heard about the rotor heat. Never tried them, but they may be an option.

I have the problem with this on my '06, but also had the issue on my prior truck, an '02 F150. I put these pads on and the dust was very minimal.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/greenstuffinfo.html

They really warranty their product too. My 1st set squealed like crazy. They sent me a 2nd set free of charge. Which I still have since my '02 was wrecked prior to installing the replacements.

Quick Reply: brake dust