Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Brake Controller/Brake Light Problem

Old 08-24-2009, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Controller/Brake Light Problem

Have a wierd situation with my 05. I pulled the race car to the track this weekend and unhooked the trailer without problem. I drove the truck without the trailer for 1.5 days without problem. Then my brake lights stayed on and I found that the brake controller had powered up w/o the trailer being plugged in. I pulled the fuse for the controller and the brake lights began to function properly again so it must be something with the controller/wiring. I put the fuse back in later and all seemed fine. Drove home with the trailer 240 miles and 1/2 mile from home (thank god) the same thing happened again. When the brake lights go on the electric trailer brakes do too so thank god I was close when it happened.

I am not really sure where to start here. The brake controller usually only turns itself on when the trailer is plugged in. Also, the controller is somehow telling the truck that the brakes are on when they are not.

Any help will be most appreciated.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:45 PM

I know this is an old thread but no one ever answered this post and coincidentally I have the same problem! I just installed a new Hopkins Agility controller in my 2007 F150. I used the Hopkins custom direct connection to the dash plug and install went easily. All connections work well and I unplugged the truck. About 12 hours later I noticed the brake lights were on even though the truck was off and locked. The controller was clicking and showing brake numbers up and down the spectrum. I disconnected and reconnected the next morning to the trailer to check out perfomance. Everything worked fine. I disconnected and watched on and off for several hours. All of a sudden brake lights came on by themselves again. I know that if I were towing, the trailer would brake without any action on my part. I live in Oregon in ice and snow and this is unsafe. Anyone experience this before? Thanks,

Dan
Old 11-01-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never heard of this problem before and its confusing. I don't have much of a clue why, but maybe an electrical short? Check the trailer plug wires under your pickup right when they go into your factory outlet. They have been known to get chewed up from rocks and cause weird problems. If they are fine maybe try a different brand brake controller like Tekonsha (personal favorite controller brand) or different brand harness that plugs into the factory and see if there is any change, and make sure it specifically says its for a 2007 F150. Good luck with the gremlins.

Last edited by jayson_waltz; 11-01-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:20 PM

Mine has done the same thing! I just unplugged it and bought a new controller and it's been fine since.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:22 PM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

Yeah it sounds like a controller issue to me.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:16 PM

Thank you all so much for your ideas. I was thinking it might be the controller but wanted some feedback. The brake lights have never done this until I installed this brand new controller to tow my Travel Trailer. The connector pigtail (for the lack of a better description) was supposed to connect this controller to the factory connector directly without splices. It appears to be fine. I have the stock Ford pigtail that the Dealership gave me that needs splicing. They look pretty identical except for the plug to the controller. I have asked the highly regarded Internet Vendor for a response and have heard nothing from them yet. Makes me think I got a bad Controller from them.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:39 PM

I Want to give an update to my story. I was contacted by Etrailer and they gave me several things to check. I checked and recontacted them and they had already communicated with Hopkins and gave me their Tech # to proceed. I contacted Hopkins and we discussed the issue and they are sending me a brand new controller. Thanks to Sarah with Etrailer and Hopkins. I hope everything turns out good!
Also thanks to those on this forum who had already concluded that it sounded like a controller issue.
I will let the Forum know if this works, or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Controller/Brake Light Problem