Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Brake Controller

Old 08-28-2008, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Brake Controller

Hi all. I just picked up a 2008 F-150 5.4 SuperCrew 4x4 XTR with the Tow 'n Go package. I have a brake controller and found the molex under the dash this evening. Tomorrow I plan to go pick up the mating pigtail and wire it in. I also had a look in the fuse panel and saw that relay #5 needs to be inserted for, I believe, the brakes and charge lead to work.

Is that all one needs to do - just wire the controller to the molex, and insert the relay? It appeared that all the fuses are there, just the relay is missing. I have 20years experience as a car stereo installer and have put in trailer brake controls a few times but this is the first time dealing with a factory wired setup, and in particular an F-150.

Thanks for the advice - I'm totally diggin my new truck
Old 08-28-2008, 06:53 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome to the site, the correct help will be along. There is a tremendous range of tallent available. My recommendation would be to call a hitch shop and ask them. They are doing it daily, but you are probably right, plug in the relay and good to go.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:26 AM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes the relay and pigtail is all that's needed

If your truck didn't come with the package with these items and you figured it out on your own good job. The package also comes with instructions showing where the relay goes and a wiring diagram for wiring up the controller too. If you bought the truck new, I would ask the dealer for the controller wiring package since you should have received it with the purchase.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:00 PM
_McLovin_

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you bought the truck with the package the wiring harness and relay should be in your glove box or center console. Either way it is supposed to come with the truck.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:15 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

They are supposed to install it when they do the PDI at the dealer...since they didn't you are headed in the right direction. It should be in the glovebox if you bought the truck new.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ohhhhh reeeealllly... Thanks for the heads up as I DID indeed check the glove box and the center console for the harness. I wasn't completely surprised that they weren't there (the back up camera harness protector plug was though) The dealer told me twice to go to a specific trailer shop to get my controller put in so is it a coincidence the plug is missing?

And thanks for the advice. At this point I already had my wife pick up a pigtail from a hitch shop ($12) and I have dozens of relays so no biggie. I knew there was a molex in the truck and logic said on the driver's side so it wasn't too tough to find and when I found the trailer plug in the back had no 12V in it I knew something was missing in the fuse box - a consult with the owners manual called out the missing relay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Controller