Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bought a Lemon

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a Lemon

So about three months ago I totaled my last truck with a collision with some wildlife. A few weeks later I bought the truck I have now. Its an 05 F150 XLT 4X4. Leveled with 33s and had 178,000 on it when I bought her. The man selling it sounded like a good guy and obviously took very good care of the truck because on the outside it looks great. We spent 9200 on it and the truck was fine until about the next day. I noticed the steering wheel started shaking pretty bad. I figured it was just a tire that needed to be balanced. so that's what I did. but instead of that being the problem it was the brake calibers and pads were rubbing. 400$. Next was the spark plugs. 167$. Then the 4X4 hubs were locked. so I replaced all that and the solenoid switch, and one upper control arm. 872$. So far since then it's ok except its leaking something that I don't know what it is yet. Rotors need replacing still and tires. So basically I would've rather bought a stock truck that didn't look as good than this Lemon. HaHa I love my fords but this one got on my nerves.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:46 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,580 Likes on 6,196 Posts

Well it is a 10 year old truck with 178K on it. Did you expect it to be problem free? To me, thats not a lemon, its a well used truck needing normal wear and tear items replaced for the first time.
The following 5 users liked this post by Summers22:
chunks7mm (03-27-2015), lakeSTLFX4 (03-27-2015), powerranger262 (03-27-2015), Ricktwuhk (03-27-2015), screamineagle (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 02:33 AM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by basshunt
So about three months ago I totaled my last truck with a collision with some wildlife. A few weeks later I bought the truck I have now. Its an 05 F150 XLT 4X4. Leveled with 33s and had 178,000 on it when I bought her. The man selling it sounded like a good guy and obviously took very good care of the truck because on the outside it looks great. We spent 9200 on it and the truck was fine until about the next day. I noticed the steering wheel started shaking pretty bad. I figured it was just a tire that needed to be balanced. so that's what I did. but instead of that being the problem it was the brake calibers and pads were rubbing. 400$. Next was the spark plugs. 167$. Then the 4X4 hubs were locked. so I replaced all that and the solenoid switch, and one upper control arm. 872$. So far since then it's ok except its leaking something that I don't know what it is yet. Rotors need replacing still and tires. So basically I would've rather bought a stock truck that didn't look as good than this Lemon. HaHa I love my fords but this one got on my nerves.
178k and you are bitching about the 4x4 actuators being froze up. You do realize that means they were never used because they didnt work? And he probably didn't even know. Suspension parts wear out, and my truck shook until i rotated and balanced tires. My expedition was the worst about that on ****ty tires. The brakes are understandable but those are all things you wont have to do for hopefully another 100k+
Old 03-27-2015, 04:22 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Summers22
Well it is a 10 year old truck with 178K on it. Did you expect it to be problem free? To me, thats not a lemon, its a well used truck needing normal wear and tear items replaced for the first time.
^^ This ^^

Too often we all get caught like a deer in headlights; a shiny vehicle to replace one we lost or sold. We forget the basics, like taking it out for a good long test drive, or had an unbiased buddy go with us to identify potential problems we are too blind to see because we have that truck replacement fever.

The good news here is that you have a solid body 4x4 truck. I would not refer to that as a lemon. It has to be expected at 178K to need mechanical work, why else would it have been sold? When an owner holds on to a vehicle for that long, decides to finally sell it, its a flag to the buyer that there's some costly mechanical work the seller did not want to go through.

You have a keeper. It appears you have the truck back to road worthyness now. Enjoy it.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:37 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Buying a used car should mean you have a mechanic go over it BEFORE you buy. Brake pads would have been caught by anyone looking. Did you review maintenance records? No lemon here... Just an old truck needing normal maintenance.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:12 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Definitely does not meet the definition of a Lemon but I know what your saying and your frustration with having to immediately put so much work into a "new to you" vehicle. I buy all my vehicles used (generally 5/6 years old) and without fail there is always something I find wrong with them that I didn't at first know or notice and/or that the previous owner did not mention.

All of the things you mentioned are something that I would expect to find in a truck of that age and mileage, also most of them are things that the previous owner possible might not have known were wrong and/or considered them normal wear and tear for the vehicle.

I just bought at 2008 Crew 4x4 with 51,000miles and I meet the dealer selling it at a mechanic of my choice, had it put up on a lift and went over it and they noted a few minor problems with typical maintenance items(allowing me to talk them down a bit more to $12,000) I have already put about $600 into it for "regular maintenance" things that I though I didn't technically need to do I thought was a good idea to start out knowing where it stood, fluid changes, new brakes and rotors, idler pulleys, belt etc. So far my only two "surprises" was the emergency brake was non existent, it had been completely removed by the previous owner apparently and there was a small leak in a power steering hose.

While it still wouldn't fit the definition of "lemon" if you had said the tranny was shot or the engine was on its last legs then I would say you got duped by the seller. Hopefully once you take care of all the normal wear and tear items the truck will serve you well. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like everyone else has said, those are normal wear and tear issues. You cant honestly expect a truck with that kind of mileage to be perfect. Or you should have asked the previous owner for maintenance records. Either way you have a good solid truck and by replacing the things you have; you're ensuring yourself of a reliable truck down the road.

I bought my 04' FX4 last June with 100k on the odometer for $14k. So far I've replaced the battery, alternator, brakes, rotors and calibers. No complaints here.......
Old 03-27-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wait till the 5.4L starts ticking then thunking like mine. Rollers, lashers, cam shafts all needed replacing at 4000.00. I opted for new engine at 6500.00 with 3yr warrenty...

truck only had 140K on it.

Probably last ford I will own...
Old 03-27-2015, 08:19 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Yep, that's a lemon if I've ever heard of one.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:33 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

From the cost of the repairs, it's obvious you paid someone instead of doing them yourself. Unless you are mechanically inclined, never buy a 10 yr old vehicle with that kind of miles. Someone who has the knowledge to preform these simple repairs can get away with buying such a vehicle, otherwise your going to get raped on repair costs. And I will add, you grossly overpaid for that truck!

Quick Reply: Bought a Lemon