Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Body lift install tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation Body lift install tips

Hey guys, i have a 07 f150 xlt and im going to order a 3 in performance body lift (or if yall recommend another brand) for about 400, i want to know if theres a thread of body lifts on here for 07-08 trucks. Also wanted to know the difference in body lift kits from 04-06 and 07-08 because the 04-06 is cheaper, what changed on the trucks? Also wanted to know how to start on the install, thank you!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:25 PM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jr817
Hey guys, i have a 07 f150 xlt and im going to order a 3 in performance body lift (or if yall recommend another brand) for about 400, i want to know if theres a thread of body lifts on here for 07-08 trucks. Also wanted to know the difference in body lift kits from 04-06 and 07-08 because the 04-06 is cheaper, what changed on the trucks? Also wanted to know how to start on the install, thank you!
I had a 4x4 shop install mine on my 2006. It's a really good/ reputable shop. The owner said he'd never do another one again on a F150. He normally charges a flat $200 to install BL on any truck..... but mine took him more than a day. Huge PITA he said.

What made you decide on a body lift?
Old 01-31-2014, 12:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get the performance accessories body lift? If so can you post pics? I wanna post pictures of my truck soooo bad on this site but dont know how through a phone haha
Old 01-31-2014, 06:49 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

My recommendation . . .

Don't use body lifts.

They do nothing to improve suspension.

They look bad by exposing more frame under the truck.

They put stress on the body mounting points by more leverage due to longer bolts.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jr817
Did you get the performance accessories body lift? If so can you post pics? I wanna post pictures of my truck soooo bad on this site but dont know how through a phone haha
I'm not sure what kind my 3" BL is to be honest. However, I think the words "performance" and "body lift" together are misleading. I have a few pics I can try to find and post for you later. They're not on my phone.

I was going to try to talk you out of a BL too. Just wanted a little more info first as to why you would want a BL in the first place. I actually want to remove my BL. Wish I never did it. Hers a few reasons why....

Assuming your truck is stock now, I'd suggest a level kit. You can get an additional 2.5" out of most of them easily without the install hassles of a BL. For the rear, you can just get a block and ubolt kit. This combo will probably cost you the same as a BL. I did this set up on my old truck and I loved it.

A BL has tons of negative effects (mostly aesthetic) on existing truck parts because your front tow hooks, trailer hitch, exhaust tips, ect all remain at the original height. Wheel well shrouds don't cover frame and engine components the same so you'll be stuck fighting with "gap guards" and other concealment products to hide the fact you bought a cheapo lift.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:59 AM

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

There are a few advantages to a body lift that you don't get with a suspension lift too..... They are all mantaince advantages, like changing plugs, cop's, exhaust manifolds, getting to the transmission and transfercase.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:32 AM

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

But, if you want to use your lifted truck off road, get a suspension lift. Another negitive part of a body lift is it reduces the payload capability of the bed.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:34 PM
M'erican Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a body lift on my first truck 98 toyota tacom. I loved it, almost no negative impact for me. I drove it for 70K miles with no problems. like the guy above me said, the maintenance advantage was amazing. Offroading was fine, I only go through mud anyways so it worked perfect.

I insalled it myself when I was 16 with 3 friends. I will never do that again, PAY SOME ONE TO DO IT. I would do it again in a heart beat, you have to realize 95% of the population will not realive the gaps and other things created by the body lift. I have 8" lift and am considering a body lift myself.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:40 PM

I don't mean to totally bash body lifts here, I do have one myself coupled with a suspension lift.

I just think that a 2.5" level with a block and ubolt kit has many more advantages over a body lift for practically the same price. (Unless you are buying a body lift to combine with another lift)

If you had a choice between the two, it's really a no brainer.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:57 AM
VFL

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Body lifts are not what they used to be. The same general concept stays the same, but installation has become much more difficult due to technological advances in vehicles. Take a quick peak under your truck and you will see things all over the place that will need extensions to work with a body lift. There IS a reason why there are only a few 04-08 trucks rolling around with one and millions of older trucks with them.

Quick Reply: Body lift install tips