Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Body lift!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Body lift!!

what would be a good size body lift to put on a single cab F150 to give it a little more aggressive look??
Old 03-05-2009, 12:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm gonna answer your question unlike what future posters will probably say, Most don't like body lifts.. I would say a 3" would be just fine. However, i put a 2.5" leveling kit and 33" tires on my truck and it looks a lot more aggressive...
Attached Thumbnails Body lift!!-img_1710.jpg  
Old 03-05-2009, 10:27 AM
UrbanTerrain

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have a leveling kit and 33s and I was thinking about adding a 3” body lift. A suspension lift cost too much $ for my truck that never gets off the pavement. I’ve been looking on e-bay for one but it looks like the labor to put it on cost twice as much as the kit. Do you plan on installing the lift yourself?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Most people who install body lifts go with 3" lifts. Not sure what body style you have or whether you're planning to install the lift yourself or not. If you're having a shop install it and you have a 04+ model then plan to pay $600-$800 for labor. From what everyone has written about body lifts on these newer trucks they are a royal PITA to install and shops are charging a lot to install them.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 2cents is body lifts suck i had them in 2 trucks i owned and i didnt like them save yourself the money and put a leveling kit in with a set of 33's
Old 03-05-2009, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S0uthernrebel78
my 2cents is body lifts suck i had them in 2 trucks i owned and i didnt like them save yourself the money and put a leveling kit in with a set of 33's

Just curious as I'm trying to figure out all the general negativity from a lot of people on body lifts, WHY did you not like them?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:26 PM
UrbanTerrain

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 Don’t just say something sucks, explain why.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default body lifts

I for one have had body lifts, my 99 expedition has one on it now, it was bought that way. I think they are good in some ways, and not great in others.
1. more room between the body and the frame and motor, fuel tank, to work on the truck
2. cheap clearance for bigger tires ( bigger tires give you clearance off road )
3. more room for tires, as stated above, but they don't change the factory feel of the ride (not stiff like alot of coil/spring lifts can be)
4. no change in the angle of drivelines, cv axles, camber caster ect...

dislikes:

1. have to move bumpers to match the body or you have a 3 in gap.
2. gap that you can see through between the body and frame that you have to cover up or it looks like sin
3. the bumpers aren't as sturdy with the brackets to relocate the bumper, bump something and the bumper is all out of whack
4. have to lower the radiator to match the fan and or cut the shroud, extend brake lines, and power steering rod, shifter linkage(some cases)
5. the truck dosen't seem to feel as tight as without the lift.... I don't care how tight you get the bolts... there will be some movement unless the body lift is made from medal and welded to the frame, then put the body mounts on top and atatch the body to it.
6. spare tire crank is off so it's a PITA to lower the spare if you have a flat. On my Expy, I have to take off the rear licence plate in order to get the crank rod into the drop crank for the spare, and it's at a weird angle.... wife never would have been able to get a flat changed if I wouldn't have figured it out after I got the truck to show her, now I carry the tool needed in the jack area just for that reason.

just my 2 cents
Old 03-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Crosby,TX

I would steer clear of a body, lift i have had a few. I would go with a leveling kit or lift. And bigger tires
Old 03-08-2009, 06:21 PM

FOMOCO you have hit the nail on the head for why i hate body lifts
1. have to move bumpers to match the body or you have a 3 in gap.
2. gap that you can see through between the body and frame that you have to cover up or it looks like sin

3. the bumpers aren't as sturdy with the brackets to relocate the bumper, bump something and the bumper is all out of whack
4. have to lower the radiator to match the fan and or cut the shroud, extend brake lines, and power steering rod, shifter linkage(some cases)
5. the truck dosen't seem to feel as tight as without the lift.... I don't care how tight you get the bolts... there will be some movement unless the body lift is made from medal and welded to the frame, then put the body mounts on top and atatch the body to it.
6. spare tire crank is off so it's a PITA to lower the spare if you have a flat. On my Expy, I have to take off the rear licence plate in order to get the crank rod into the drop crank for the spare, and it's at a weird angle.... wife never would have been able to get a flat changed if I wouldn't have figured it out after I got the truck to show her, now I carry the tool needed in the jack area just for that reason.

Quick Reply: Body lift!!