Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Block heater cord location

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Block heater cord location

Hi all, I did a search and couldn't really come up with the answer. I just bought a 2008 XL, and I got curious about it. So I pulled up the window sticker and saw that it came with the $90 block heater option. I don't really need it here in Colo, except maybe a few times a year where it would be nice (really never necessary). So I was trying to find the cable and might have found it? Do I need to buy a chord that attaches to this female connection, or is this something else all together?

I know the orientation of the photo is very weird, the front of the pickup is at the bottom of the image (where the light source is). The cord is hanging in front of and below the oil filter.

Thanks!!
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2012, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe that is your book heater cord...it should be a regular cord end! My 07 XLT is right up in the front bumper basically, check the lower valence, on the driver side...that's where mine is atleast!
Old 09-25-2012, 01:34 PM

Ok, thanks Marba. That's where I began looking (I installed one on my '92 and that's where I ran the cord, seems like the logical place). I didn't find anything so that took me to look underneath and behind the radiator.

Any idea what this 3-pin connector is for?
Old 09-25-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wowsley
Ok, thanks Marba. That's where I began looking (I installed one on my '92 and that's where I ran the cord, seems like the logical place). I didn't find anything so that took me to look underneath and behind the radiator.

Any idea what this 3-pin connector is for?
Not a clue! I'm not the most technical guy with vehicles. Maybe someone else will chime in. As for the cord, here's a picture of mine, right below the radiator basically:
Attached Thumbnails Block heater cord location-image-2892850196.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wowsley, that plug is for a battery blanket / heater.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Flyingbrick
wowsley, that plug is for a battery blanket / heater.
Thanks Brick. So does that mean the truck has a battery heater as well as a block heater (presumably)? I've never seen/used a battery heater.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:31 PM
-brad

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

battery heater?? Really? I have never heard of that! I may want to look into it. Gets pretty chilly up here in Alberta, Canada. -40 degrees celcius at times.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by brad.fx4
battery heater?? Really? I have never heard of that! I may want to look into it. Gets pretty chilly up here in Alberta, Canada. -40 degrees celcius at times.

BRRRRRR! Perhaps you can get a moose to lay on the hood? Eh?

Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 PM
-brad

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hahahahaha. I should train one!
Old 09-27-2012, 01:37 PM

wowsley, no the battery blanket would plug into that end. The factory ford block heater line is split for both a block heater and battery blanket, but only the "cold weather package" got both.

brad.fx4, I'm in Winnipeg, and the best thing you can do for your truck is invest in a GOOD battery, have it tested every other year, and make a winter front for the truck (I don't know how old you are but if you remember the 80-90s everyone had them). With that set up I only plug the truck in when we hit -50s windchill.

Quick Reply: Block heater cord location