Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Block Heater

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 12:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Block Heater

Can anyone tell me if starting a truck with a block heater plugged in will harm the engine and/or the heater? I have one and even with my truck parked indoor, my truck warms so much faster with it. Love it!
Old 01-12-2015, 12:31 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Why?

Since the engine is pre-warmed, there is no reason to use remote start. Also, after 2 - 3 hours it's done it's job, so ideally put it on a timer. Of course you should never use a remote start if your truck is parked in a garage.
The following users liked this post:
4x4Fun (01-13-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 07:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It won't damage it to start it plugged in. However, it isn't worth risking the one time that you FORGET it is plugged in and go driving off with your extension cord plugged into the warmer. As noted above, plug the unit into a timer and let it run a couple hours before you leave to keep it at operating temp. Because the element heats the coolant near the plug, your start will be much better... No reason to use a remote start or run it in conjunction with the warmer running...
4x4Fun (01-13-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you for the answers! I was not aware how long it took for it to do its job. Normally I plug it in before I go to bed and unplug it when I am about to leave. I have certain precautions that I set to ensure that I don't take off without unplugging the heater. I just wanted to make sure that if, should my wife remove my external physical reminders, and I did start my truck with it still plugged in, I did not harm anything. Using a timer is a great idea! I will incorporate it from now on to ensure I am not wasting money on electricity.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:11 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

I used to do that all of the time.. I wouldn't remote start the truck for 15 minutes (set it to 7 at that time) but at -35C I just wanted the engine to run for 30 seconds to a minute as I don't like to just step on it even after the block heater was hooked up. Sure the oil is hot but the transmission, differentials, etc are still cold (although some of the requires movement anyways).

Like stcolorado mentions though, don't drive off with it. I've done it... LOL. Didn't damage anything thankfully other than bent the prongs on my extension cord.

I have a heated garage now so I don't plug it in. I've done the same with my Fusion though (truck gets priority in the garage - wife questions it all the time).
4x4Fun (01-13-2015)

Quick Reply: Block Heater