Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Blacking out my headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Wiggs

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Blacking out my headlights

All right....after much investigation and the fact that I have no money, I have decided that I am giong to use the oven method and black out my headlights. The only thing that I haven't been able to find is whether to use gloss paint or matte. If any of you have done this please post some pics of your headlights and tell me whether you have used gloss or matte. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

You should head over to the FordF150.net site. There is a post on this subject as we speak (write). The poster left his headlights in a bit too long and melted the lens, so he warned everyone on this. He admitted that he did this (left then in too long) because he had broken the lens anyhow....

I laughed my butt off when I saw the picture he posted; I guess I offended him somewhat, as I said I'd never place anything plastic into an oven to "soften up the seal". Apparently others have had great success with this proceedure. Here's the link:

http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69580
Old 03-16-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a buddy of mine used the oven method on his STI lights and it cost him like $300 for a new one but he said that my lights could easily be done with the oven method so just be really careful about what you try and bake.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by f150mashin559
a buddy of mine used the oven method on his STI lights and it cost him like $300 for a new one but he said that my lights could easily be done with the oven method so just be really careful about what you try and bake.
As I mentioned in the other link, I scored a set of OEM Ford Harley-Davidson headlights (already blacked out on the inside) for $89.00 (for the pair) on Ebay. This was about 4 weeks ago, and at that time he had 2 sets of them.

Deals can be had. The good news is that stock headlights are readily available for cheap (some folks give them away; you just pay shipping), so If you mess up, you can buy a stock replacement set for cheap.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
You should head over to the FordF150.net site. There is a post on this subject as we speak (write). The poster left his headlights in a bit too long and melted the lens, so he warned everyone on this. He admitted that he did this (left then in too long) because he had broken the lens anyhow....

I laughed my butt off when I saw the picture he posted; I guess I offended him somewhat, as I said I'd never place anything plastic into an oven to "soften up the seal". Apparently others have had great success with this proceedure. Here's the link:

http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69580
Man, Bucko... You really pissed in that guys Corn-Flakes didn't ya?? HAHA. I will agree, however that these headlights (I have never tried the 3rd brake light) are the hardest and biggest pains in the *****es that I have ever done this on. I have done this on my wife's 2007 Mazda and all three sets of h/l's that I had in my 1995 Talon and none were as difficult as these to get apart.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by Lenn
Man, Bucko... You really pissed in that guys Corn-Flakes didn't ya?? HAHA. I will agree, however that these headlights (I have never tried the 3rd brake light) are the hardest and biggest pains in the *****es that I have ever done this on. I have done this on my wife's 2007 Mazda and all three sets of h/l's that I had in my 1995 Talon and none were as difficult as these to get apart.
No doubt I did! When I saw the pic he posted of his melted headlight, I darned near fell out of my chair laughing. There's no way my wife would let me stick an automotive part into the oven she cooks with, and after viewing that pic, I would not have the guts to try!

Glad it worked for you; and apparently many others.

And I did offer my appologies to that guy.

And here's a link to EBay that has a set for $86.00 (already black):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...1%7C240%3A1318

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 03-16-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Wiggs

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Alright so after reading the post on the other forum, and thank you Bucko for linking that, I have decided to by the oem pair on EBAy. Just waiting on them to ship.

Quick Reply: Blacking out my headlights