Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Big thanks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big thanks!!!

Just wanted to give a HUGE THANK YOU to this forum for all the insight given on how to successfully change spark plugs on these F150s. I bought mine without the prior knowledge of this spark plug issue and it was about due for a change when I bought it! I thought to myself..."Great...I just spent tons of money on this truck and now I'm going to have to drop several hundred to get a trained tech to change freakin spark plugs!"

I decided to try it myself with the guidance of this forum. Given that the local shop said he would charge $250 to change plus $60 per broken plug and then told me that if I wanted to try myself he would still only charge $60 per plug to remove any I broke as long as I could find a way to get it to him.

Leading up to the day I changed them, I ran a couple of bottles of SeaFoam through it over the course of 2 tanks of gas, and then did several tanks with Lucas fuel treatment and upper lubricant. I dedicated an entire day to the task and used a combination of PB Blaster and Seafoam Deep Creep the day of changing. I did like some have said on here and sprayed a little of PB Blaster in the wells at first and cracked them open and let them sit for a while. I came back and cracked it open a little more, sprayed some Deep Creep in, and then worked each plug back and forth and let it sit again for a while. I repeated probably 4-5 times and then started slowly working each plug out. I'm happy to report that ALL EIGHT came out with NO BREAKAGE!!!

Thanks again to everyone here who contributed knowledge to how to remove these things successfully! I put new one peice plugs in and used anti-seize on the threads and shank so hopefully they'll be easier next time.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Platinum Man Card

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

sweet man no breaks! thats always good to hear. and that is a really great process to help get them out, rather then just puttin a socket to it and hopin
Old 12-13-2011, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and for those that might see that and use the Deep Creep or PB Blaster, don't forget to turn the engine over a few times without plugs in to blow the moisture out. Mine smoked a tiny bit upon cranking, but fired right up.

Quick Reply: Big thanks!!!