Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

big question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool big question

so..I take my truck to ..whatever you want to call it - ProLube..or where ever you go to get your oil changed. I don't do it myself. My question is... should I? I have no knowledge about oil or oil filters. I mean... don't get me wrong - I think I can figure out how to change the oil.

is there a difference between the oil these ProLubes use and the ones on the shelf at Wal-Mart, Auto Zone...or wherever you go? should I be paying more attention to what kind of oil goes in? I've just had the attitude towards oil: it's oil, I take it and they put in whatever they put in, then I drive off. is there more to that? should I start buying my own oil and changing it myself? should I not use the oil they use and use a certain kind?

what's your take on this? what oil should I use? if you change your own oil, why? what kind of oil do you use and again, why? THANKS!
Old 04-15-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Big Question

With out hesitation, use the oil grade that is called out by the manufacturer. Pay attention to the numbers (weight) and the letters (oil type). Once your decision is made, stay with it. Don't change brands every oil change. I personally change my own oil as it gives me a good look see around the engine compartment. I have three different trucks and all use a different oil. All Fords but different years, tollerances, matterial or what ever. Trust yourself to do the job right not someone else. And remember tools make the difference.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:25 PM
none.

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

just go to the dealership if you arent sure.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:13 PM

some places use valvoline and alot fo dealerships use pennzoil... which is a parafin based petrolum oil.. I personally would not recommend it due to parafin being about like wax. I do not have a place to change oil at home due to not having a garage yet.. but i have a realy good family friend who has a shop..so i buy my own oil and just have them change it... they charge me 12 bux for labor but they check under hood, lights, and top off all the other fluids. Plus i have a history there so if anything comes up warranty wise I can easly get my receipts and prove that i have had oil changed... plus they alwasy put the type of oil on receipt..
Old 04-15-2008, 10:01 PM

Buy the quarts of oil I worked at a exxon station and we had bulk oil. When you looked in the bottom of the jug that we poured the into you could see dirt or small particles
Old 04-16-2008, 01:17 AM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I only take my truck to the dealership for it's oil changes.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Bleed FORD Blue

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Screw the stealership, I take mine to my buddy who works at a dealership they always provide the oil and filter, top off all fluids and while he does that, I balance and rotate my tires. All it cost me is buying him a beer whenever we hang out. But to answer your question try to always use the same oil.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by al73mustang
Screw the stealership, I take mine to my buddy who works at a dealership they always provide the oil and filter, top off all fluids and while he does that, I balance and rotate my tires. All it cost me is buying him a beer whenever we hang out. But to answer your question try to always use the same oil.

i miss the good ole days when a beer could get alot of service... back in 85 i had a camaro with a mildy built 350 in it and rod started knocking... all i had to do was buy 2 cases of beer and parts and motor was finished asap...
Old 04-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Bleed FORD Blue

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thats Awesome

Quick Reply: big question