Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

better mpg blah blah blah.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:10 PM
Your Boy Blue

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default better mpg blah blah blah.

Okay so this isnt a normal question. I know I should get a honda, push it, all that fun smart *** stuff I can do.

But really, if I only fill up half a tank, will I get better mpg? I mean 15ish gallons weighs a lot!

I am broke as a joke right now and need to make a 350 mile round trip.

Just curious. Thanks and no thanks to everyone!
Old 06-12-2014, 11:20 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

I wouldn't think so. Just having to pull off the road to the gas station, shut it off, fill it up, crank it back over wastes gas. If you're riding the highway, fill that puppy up, hit cruise and enjoy the ride! You will get better mpg's burning through an entire tank that's all highway, and not stop-n-go.
The following users liked this post:
JHan90F150 (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 11:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JHan90F150
Okay so this isnt a normal question. I know I should get a honda, push it, all that fun smart *** stuff I can do.

But really, if I only fill up half a tank, will I get better mpg? I mean 15ish gallons weighs a lot!

I am broke as a joke right now and need to make a 350 mile round trip.

Just curious. Thanks and no thanks to everyone!
First I am new here so I am speaking generally when I say this. Yes anytime you reduce weight you will get better MPG. How much is another question because it may not equate to much in a truck. There is nothing negative to slowing down or stopping so you should go just a little bit further.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:55 PM
Your Boy Blue

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its basically all hwy. 2 toll booths, 10 or so stop lights. It does suck but what the hell. I drive a gas hog. I guess ill muscle up and fill ol blue up! I have never seen this question asked so thought id give it a shot in the dark. Haha.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

Probably not any noticeable MPG difference. Id rather fill up and spend an extra dollar or 2 max and not have to stop until I got there.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You must be getting great gas mileage. About every other fill on my Silverado was to a half a tank and I didn't notice any mileage difference between a half tank and a full tank.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

15 gallons of gas weighs close to 125 pounds. If you are filling up once a day to the halfway filled, or once every other day, it might make a difference. Try and do it after the engine is warmed up. A new start and acceleration uses less fuel when the engine is at normal running temperature than right after taking off from home or work and it is cold. Keep the tires inflated fully to the recommended pressure and accelerate as if there was an egg under the gas pedal that you don't want to crush. Keep the speed under 62 mph and just leave a few minutes earlier for work. The extra speed kills your mileage and doesn't really gain you much time. Cruise control is your best friend if you are trying to save your money.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know you are broke, but if you really want to save serious MPGs, invest in one of these my friend.... And read the 800 reviews as well.

Saves me almost 4 mpg on the hwy, and I got a 3in lift and 35's.

http://www.autoanything.com/performa...A2389A0A0.aspx
The following users liked this post:
JHan90F150 (07-06-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is what it is. Sure taking out unnecessary weight saves you.. But why worry about how much gas is in the tank...if anything keep it full as running your tank close to empty is worse for your pump.
Don't buy a programmer.. It won't save you ****all. I have an edge evo cs and it doesn't even have a fuel economy setting.
Proper tire inflation, vehicle maintenence, ditch everything you don't need from the truck.
I was very surprised my last tank I calculated was 17.71 mpg with an 8" lift and 35s...minnnnt
Old 06-13-2014, 06:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.pepehn
It is what it is. Sure taking out unnecessary weight saves you.. But why worry about how much gas is in the tank...if anything keep it full as running your tank close to empty is worse for your pump.
Don't buy a programmer.. It won't save you ****all. I have an edge evo cs and it doesn't even have a fuel economy setting.
Proper tire inflation, vehicle maintenence, ditch everything you don't need from the truck.
I was very surprised my last tank I calculated was 17.71 mpg with an 8" lift and 35s...minnnnt
Probably the most ignorant comment I've ever read on here....

Quick Reply: better mpg blah blah blah.