Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Best replacement shocks/rotors - 06 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best replacement shocks/rotors - 06 Lariat

I have a 2006 Lariat 4x2 SCAB with 87,000 miles on it. 99.845% of the driving is on-road. The front rotors were replaced with OEM at 67,000 miles and are now starting to need turning again. I want to replace the shocks at the same time to help the ride on the highway. Three or four times a year I haul a 2-horse trailer for about 5,000 lb. total weight. Otherwise I use it as a Cowboy Lincoln.

Is there a brand of shock that seems to work best and last longest? I can get the OEM rotors turned for around $125, but this seems to be a stopgap. This would be the fourth time I have had to mess with the rotors.

I guess I need the 3-piece rotor assembly, at a jaw-dropping price at Auto Anything or whatever it is.

I am 73 and intend to keep this truck for a long time. Any counsel is deeply appreciated. Thank you.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by je00143
I have a 2006 Lariat 4x2 SCAB with 87,000 miles on it. 99.845% of the driving is on-road. The front rotors were replaced with OEM at 67,000 miles and are now starting to need turning again. I want to replace the shocks at the same time to help the ride on the highway. Three or four times a year I haul a 2-horse trailer for about 5,000 lb. total weight. Otherwise I use it as a Cowboy Lincoln.

Is there a brand of shock that seems to work best and last longest? I can get the OEM rotors turned for around $125, but this seems to be a stopgap. This would be the fourth time I have had to mess with the rotors.

I guess I need the 3-piece rotor assembly, at a jaw-dropping price at Auto Anything or whatever it is.

I am 73 and intend to keep this truck for a long time. Any counsel is deeply appreciated. Thank you.
I had my rotors turned at around 70K, and will replace them next time around, likely around 125K is my guess. I have 99k now.

As for shocks, I just ordered the Monroe QuickStrut for the front, and Reflex for the back. They will be here Saturday and I'll try to get them on this weekend.

www.rockauto.com is your friend for saving money.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Use coupon codes at advanced auto and batch your purchases into 2 separate purchases, then select pick up in store..

Codes: ES123... A124...TRT41 are good codes...

A pair of Wearever rotors and ceramic pads should cost you no more then $98 bucks if you batch your orders correctly...

If you already need rotors turned again, I would suggest you thoroughly inspect your calipers and grease them up good...

The best shocks for the money are the bilstein 5100 series shocks that will last a lifetime, and have a great warrantee.. They also have the ability to adjust the ride height in the front up to 2 inches...
Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Former Powerstroker

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

well for the best get bilstien shocks and struts and for the best brakes get the 2 piece hub rotor combo. Centric makes the hub.

Slap some EBC pads and rotors on there and you will be amazed.

And there are better brakes out there but they cost upwards of 3k
Old 05-02-2013, 07:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What does getting your rotors turned do for you? I dont do that mechanical stuff myself.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:13 PM
"Lifted"

Received 223 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by 04black150
What does getting your rotors turned do for you? I dont do that mechanical stuff myself.
Cleans up the uneven surface.... When you press your brakes and your steering wheel starts to shake... Change pads turn rotors...

Mine had gotten bad enough to upgrade to a dimpled slotted rotor
Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by KingRanch4Life
Cleans up the uneven surface.... When you press your brakes and your steering wheel starts to shake... Change pads turn rotors...

Mine had gotten bad enough to upgrade to a dimpled slotted rotor
thanks! I just got my breaks checked today and my mech said everythings good. But i have to get new leaf springs put in next week. I do have the shaking steering wheel when i press the brake. Do you suggest having him turn my rotors?
Old 05-02-2013, 08:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks! I just got my breaks checked today and my mech said everythings good. But i have to get new leaf springs put in next week. I do have the shaking steering wheel when i press the brake. Do you suggest having him turn my rotors?
HOw many miles? Have they been turned before? Generally speaking, you can only turn them once, maybe twice, before you have to replace them.

If you can change a tire, you can do it yourself and save some money. It's one of the easiest maintenance things to do on a vehicle.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:22 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

I would just replace the rotors unless he will turn them all for 40 bucks or less. The codes I left a couple posts back will replace rotors cheaply at ADAP. I've got the ADAP Wearever rotors on all 4 of my truck, and they are honestly not bad for the price... They got rid of the "brake shake" in my steering wheel...
The following users liked this post:
04black150 (05-02-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Especial86
I would just replace the rotors unless he will turn them all for 40 bucks or less. The codes I left a couple posts back will replace rotors cheaply at ADAP. I've got the ADAP Wearever rotors on all 4 of my truck, and they are honestly not bad for the price... They got rid of the "brake shake" in my steering wheel...
Ill probably go with the ADAP route. Are the Wearever rotors the best route to go for quality and price? If so, which wearever did you choose..Part # along with brake pad?

Quick Reply: Best replacement shocks/rotors - 06 Lariat