Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Beginning to think my '07 F150 is a money pit

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 09:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Beginning to think my '07 F150 is a money pit

I've had this truck for just a bit over two years. At this time it has about 102,000 miles showing. I don't mind the cost of normal maintenance but it seems every few months it is something else. I had it tuned up last October, and replaced all eight plugs and coils with Ford Motorcraft parts.Earlier this year it started missing.I took it back to the shop that did the tune-up.The guy that owns this shop is a good friend of over 30 years,he himself did the work.He put his tester on it and it showed a missfire/miss in #2 cylinder. I had him replace both the coil and the plug in that cylinder with new Motorcraft parts that I purchased myself. It has ran great until this past weekend,the miss has returned.I know you can get bad parts,but is there anything else in the ignition or electrical system on these trucks that can cause this ? If this truck's engine had a real distributor with points and a carburetor I could have already fixed it and kept it running like a top.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is from the Ford Parts Warranty:

GENERAL WARRANTY COVERAGE:
• Ford & Motorcraft parts sold on, or after, October 1, 2013:
o 24 months/Unlimited miles.
o Warranty begins on date of purchase for retail customer, or date of installation by fleet or installer.
Notes:
• The Limited Warranty may be honored by the original installer or any Ford/Lincoln Dealer, even though that
particular dealer was not the original purchaser/seller of the part.
• The Customer, Fleet or Installer must provide the original owner’s repair order or sales slip when repairs are
requested.

If you had just replaced all the coils in October, try to get them warrantied...maybe you just got a bad one or a bad batch.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:03 PM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

My question is why would you replace both the COP and plug at the same time.. Motorcraft COP's are $60 ea. and you may of just needed a new plug. A simple swap between cylinders could of told you if the coil was bad or the plug.. Check the injector on #2 could be the problem.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:26 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Chump change ==05 5.4l 3v

at 160k replaced all timing components ,lash adjusters ,rollers, oil pump Drivers window regulator and control . Brakes all 4 wheels . rotors ,2 new calipers fronts . Fuel module , front struts ,all fuel injectors , Plugs and coils . I can't list it all .
I'm just glad I payed cash for it so I didn't have to pay 2-3 k in interest for the last 10 years .Nor do I want a new one at 60k .
Yes some of this new stuff sucks . Don't want no damn turbo's or tiny engines .Don't want an alum body either .
Old 07-23-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Any aftermarket accessories like remote start, etc.? Sometimes these can short out to the block and blow a COP.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Platinum6point2
Any aftermarket accessories like remote start, etc.? Sometimes these can short out to the block and blow a COP.
The only thing I can see on this truck that is not O.E.M. are the airbags at the rear axle and it does have a set of LED lights on the rear between the bed and the rear bumper that work in conjunction with the tail lights. My wife and I went out to dinner Saturday evening and drove the truck and even at idle you could feel the miss.You can be driving along at a given speed limit and it will missfire,but if you step down it to accelerate for passing other cars it does not miss under load.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:22 PM

Took my truck to the shop that did the tune-up for me back in October.His tester is showing a misfire in number 7 cylinder. That makes two out of the eight new coils I purchased have gone bad in less than 15,000 miles.At least this time the check engine light came on and it tripped a code.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:26 PM
Mark

Originally Posted by sammyg
Took my truck to the shop that did the tune-up for me back in October.His tester is showing a misfire in number 7 cylinder. That makes two out of the eight new coils I purchased have gone bad in less than 15,000 miles.At least this time the check engine light came on and it tripped a code.
Once again... just because it's a misfire...don't automatically mean it's the coil... very well could be the plug or an injector. All you need to do is swap COP's and see if the misfire follows.. then you will not be tossing expensive parts at it.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
Once again... just because it's a misfire...don't automatically mean it's the coil... very well could be the plug or an injector. All you need to do is swap COP's and see if the misfire follows.. then you will not be tossing expensive parts at it.
Did not think about an injector,but back in May the fuel pump went out and had to replace it. This work was done at a Ford dealership. While it was there they also did a fuel injector service on the truck.While I don't know what's involved in servicing the injectors,if one of them was not working up to par wouldn't it show up then? Like I said in my initial post when I started this thread,if this thing had a carburetor on it and a real distributor with points in it ,I could fix it myself. I worked in a Ford assembly plant for 32 years and saw a lot of change in automotive technology,but this stuff nowadays is mind blowing.If you don't have thousands of dollars invested in test equipment you can't figure out what the problem is without the trial and error of changing a bunch of parts.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:11 AM
Mark

you must still use a flip phone..

Quick Reply: Beginning to think my '07 F150 is a money pit