Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Before I rebuild the transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before I rebuild the transmission...

I am desperate for advice or opinions on what to do with this headache of a truck. I bought this 2005 F150 King Ranch with the 5.4 Triton in it. It had just under 85k miles and looked well cared for...but after owning it for less than three months I'm ready to roll it off a cliff.

The problem started with that typical shutter/studder/hesitation between 45-50 mph. Almost like the engine and transmission weren't sure if it should be in OD or which gear it should be in. Then it snowballed (related or not, who knows?). When I let off of the gas to decelerate, the truck sucks back hard like it's losing power. At first people had me convinced it was because the lift and tires. But with everything else and increasing severity, it's just not the case. Next problem, in addition to the others, the truck has issues accelerating from a stop, especially in stop in go traffic. When you hit the gas you can hear a slight rev but the truck goes nowhere and then suddenly slams into gear. Sometimes it'll hesitate and buck hard two or three times before it finally catches. And at times it hits HARD. There have been times where I have to manually drop it into first or second just to get the truck to move as opposed to just jerk around. I've had one mechanic say that's what I should do and one tell me that will blow the computer. The RPM'S jump randomly from time to time. It's a total **** show.

So...I have changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, and had the transmission flushed. I have taken it to two shops. One shop says I need to have the transmission rebuilt. The other mechanic says he can't condemn the transmission because it was not symptomatic the two times he drove it (with the exception of hesitation at 45-50 mph). He also said if a transmission is broke, it's broke...not some of time, but all of the time. Both had it on computers and got NO codes whatsoever.

What do I do? What are the odds it NOT the transmission? Nobody can give me answers including the mechanics.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:43 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,580 Likes on 6,196 Posts

So no codes for anything?? What plugs were used and did the COP's get new boots and springs? Also its free to take off and clean your throttle body and MAF. Wouldnt hurt to do that. Inspect your fuel pump driver module near the spare tire (search this forum on it).
Old 08-30-2015, 01:53 AM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Your issue sounds similar to a problem I had a while ago. I ended up picking up a Sonnax kit, dropping the valve body and cleaning it out. I also replaced the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators and it has been working perfectly since. It was certainly cheaper than a full rebuild, plus you get some upgraded parts.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

What about the coil packs ? Is there an aftermarket CAI and/ or is it clean, clean MAF sensor and throttle body, check the FPDM or just order a new one and replace it but don't give up on her but also don't just throw parts at her.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by bourgeois1269
What about the coil packs ? Is there an aftermarket CAI and/ or is it clean, clean MAF sensor and throttle body, check the FPDM or just order a new one and replace it but don't give up on her but also don't just throw parts at her.
check inside the driver side fender well where the air is sucked into the engine to make sure it's not clogged. I would get OEM coil packs and if you do make sure to apply dielectric grease to the springs, they could be bad and not letting the engine receive the all the necessary juice it needs !
Old 08-30-2015, 09:47 AM

That's good mileage for an 05 !
Old 08-30-2015, 10:00 AM

Sorry for all the post but I would like to help you fix her without throwing money all over the place but if it was the transmission I would think you would feel the gears slipping or not shifting into a specific gear. I think the hesitation at a certain speed is due to a specific cylinder not firing as it should. What kind of plugs did you use ?
Old 08-30-2015, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Summers22
So no codes for anything?? What plugs were used and did the COP's get new boots and springs? Also its free to take off and clean your throttle body and MAF. Wouldnt hurt to do that. Inspect your fuel pump driver module near the spare tire (search this forum on it).

Had the spark plugs done at the dealership since I've heard about the issues with the back ones breaking off. They also put new boots in.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=bourgeois1269;4310648]What about the coil packs ? Is there an aftermarket CAI and/ or is it clean, clean MAF sensor and throttle body, check the FPDM or just order a new one and replace it but don't give up on her

No aftermarket intake. And, Forgot to mention the air filter was also changed.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Summers22

No codes anywhere...for anything. And I think there are like 7 computer boards on the truck.

Quick Reply: Before I rebuild the transmission...