Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bed Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bed Squeaking

Hey guys.

I've got an '04 f150 lariat screw. I've had it since '04 and I love it to death. From what I found when I searched it looks like quite a few people have had squeaking problems but I couldn't find any like mine. While driving down the road I can faintly hear a squeak and when I open the rear glass I can really hear it which leads me to think it's definitely in the area of the bed. I really want to say it has got something to do with the suspension because I only hear it when I'm on a rough/bumpy road, speed bumps, etc. Has anyone else heard or have this problem? Any solutions?

Thanks guys.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:39 PM

Try checking over a couple things like your bed bolts...making sure that they are tight, your front and rear leaf spring shackle bushings...maybe spray some silicane spray on them, and also check your rear shock bushings...same thing, spray clear silicaone spray on them. It might be easier to have someone jump inside the bed while your underneath the rear of the truck listining.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:50 AM
WNY Ford Girl

Wow I will do that. I have the same problem and it has been driving me crazy.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:41 PM

Mine sounded like crickets. I jumped on the bumper, kicked the suspension, the tires and otherwise just looked like an idiot in my driveway and could never recreate the problem while parked. Problem ended up being the tailgate latch. A litte WD40 and my truck is quiet again. Good luck.

p.s. I suggest troubleshooting at night so the neighbors don't start talking...
Old 06-02-2010, 07:55 PM

That is another excellent place to look for squeeks. Keep us posted and let us know...
Old 06-02-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by sconnor
Mine sounded like crickets. I jumped on the bumper, kicked the suspension, the tires and otherwise just looked like an idiot in my driveway and could never recreate the problem while parked. Problem ended up being the tailgate latch. A litte WD40 and my truck is quiet again. Good luck.

p.s. I suggest troubleshooting at night so the neighbors don't start talking...

Haha, I did this exact thing earlier today and I couldn't recreate it either. I sprayed some WD-40 on the hinges of the tailgate. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet. What do you mean by the tailgate latch?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by csmith91
What do you mean by the tailgate latch?
On both sides of the tailgate, where it latches onto the nader pin. Spray the moving parts in the tailgate and a little onto the pins that are attached to the bed.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:05 PM

Just an update, I cleaned the hinges on the bottom of the tailgate with a toothbrush and sprayed them with some WD40. Squeak's gone!

Quick Reply: Bed Squeaking