Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bed liner Re-do

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Default Bed liner Re-do

Hello everyone,

So i bought my truck, it was an ex lease of a painting company. I dont like ex lease trucks for a construction company but it had 60,000km and looks mint. Trailer hitch looks like a virgin and the trailer brake plug has never been out of the bag.

But... the bed liner looks like a shotty home brush on job. I can see the bed paint through some spots. Its thick in some spots and barely anything in others. Also, painting company looks like they have had a couple loose lids in the back.

Can a company like linex just spray over top of the old to make it look half decent or should i get my sander out and go to town on it? I want to keep this truck decent for years and I dont want my box looking like crap
Old 01-14-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

buy a plastic bed liner, easier and cheaper
Old 01-14-2010, 09:58 PM
PJB

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Those do it yourself liners suck. We did my brother's old S10 with a kit and every time something touched it some of it flaked off. We sanded it and prepped it like we were supposed to but it just sucked.

I think Line-X would need to strip all that crap off before spraying it and they might not even do it.

At this point a plastic liner would probably be best since it would just cover everything.

Ive got a plastic liner in my truck because it was there when I bought it and I cant afford the $500 for Line-X.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neggy
buy a plastic bed liner, easier and cheaper
Yeah, those are fantastic if you like to scratch the hell out of your bed, trap water underneath it(potentially rusting) and dont mind doing a header off the tailgate when its wet or mind the warped look after it sits in the sun for a year or two. And really, their not much cheaper than a decent spray in...

Rhino or Line-X is the only way to fly IMO. Line-X is more of a hard finish, the Rhino has more of a rubbery, no slip feel. Both are equally durable but the Line-X seems to hold up better to UV rays. Any shop that will apply it wont touch it with the current DIY job in the bed...it will need to be stripped by either yourself or the shop doing the work. A wire wheel on an angle grinder will make quick work of it.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:39 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JerrfyLube
Both are equally durable but the Line-X seems to hold up better to UV rays.
Don't know if I can agree with you there. My Rhino liner has spent the last five years sitting in the sun at 8,500 ft and it still looks great.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thump
Don't know if I can agree with you there. My Rhino liner has spent the last five years sitting in the sun at 8,500 ft and it still looks great.
All things being equal, two of our fleet trucks at work were done at nearly the same time...one with Rhino, one with Line-X...

They are both equally tough but the Line-X didnt look nearly as "sun bleached" after about 3 years time...of course, this is in Mojave Desert and the sun here can be downright brutal nearly all year. Your mileage may vary...

Quick Reply: Bed liner Re-do