Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bed floor rusting through.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 06:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Bed floor rusting through.

Tried a search but found nothing on it. I have an 06 supercab 6' box with no rust. None that is except the bed floor over the muffler. Rusted from the bottom up. There seems to be a shield glued to the bottom side of the bed and its rusting from there. Anyone with this issue? Half the f150's I look at have the shield, half don't. Not sure if its a Lariat thing or not.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 PM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Dozer5
Tried a search but found nothing on it. I have an 06 supercab 6' box with no rust. None that is except the bed floor over the muffler. Rusted from the bottom up. There seems to be a shield glued to the bottom side of the bed and its rusting from there. Anyone with this issue? Half the f150's I look at have the shield, half don't. Not sure if its a Lariat thing or not.
Are you talking about the heat shield that covers the muffler or the actual bed floor? The bed floor is fairly thick steel so it would be strange for that to rust out of nowhere while the rest of the truck looks fine. Corrosion should start where moisture and salt will accumulate without having a chance to be removed.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:04 PM

That's exactly what happened. There's a metal heat shield over the muffler and another heat shield glued to the bed floor. That's what held the salt and moisture. The rust bubbled up through the paint on the floor over the muffler. Right now it's a hole a little bigger than a pencil. (Diameter) no other rust anywhere on the truck.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:31 AM

That's exactly what happened. There's a metal heat shield over the muffler and another heat shield glued to the bed floor. That's what held the salt and moisture. The rust bubbled up through the paint on the floor over the muffler. Right now it's a hole a little bigger than a pencil. (Diameter) no other rust anywhere on the truck.
S**t brother, better get that repaired otherwise it'll spread. There are a number of ways to repair it. Personally if it is small I would section in a piece.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 AM

I looked at it better yesterday. I'll have to take a pic later. The total area is about the size of a golf ball. It's killing me.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:16 AM

I looked at it better yesterday. I'll have to take a pic later. The total area is about the size of a golf ball. It's killing me.
There are a number of procedures I would follow. Post pics and I'll describe to you what I would recommend. Of course, it's only a recommendation as I'm experienced doing bodywork and paint. What course of action you decide to take is up to you.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:26 AM

It's suppose to rain all day tomorrow. I'll try to get pics after work. I appreciate it.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:18 AM

Bed floor rusting through.-image-3172641955.jpg
The dime shows the size. Didn't have a quarter.

Bed floor rusting through.-image-565701595.jpg

Bed floor rusting through.-image-2734295381.jpg
Old 08-15-2013, 07:58 PM

S**t brother, that's in a tough spot. There are two methods of approach. One is better than the other, but the better one is far more challenging.

I would say your most cost effective option is to take a grinder to grind off all the rust from the areas and strip it down to bare metal on both sides. Then use POR-15 coat the entire area. Don't get that s**t on yourself 'cause it's nasty. It will stop the rust from spreading and it will prevent future rust. Prep is the key, so make sure you do a larger area than what you can see. And make sure that you have cleaned the area off very, very well before application.

The other option is to cut the s**t right out and weld a new piece in. It's basically sectioning in a new piece. You need a MIG welder, good welding skills and sheet metal and a sheet metal brake. Have a good body hammer as well.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:38 AM

Yeah, my preference is to section in another piece. Probably grind off the rust and treat it until I can either find someone to do it reasonably or figure out how to do it myself. My dad can weld, just need to have someone fab the piece. The corrugation has a funky shape right there too so I'll probably take enough to eliminate the contour and make it strait. Then I'll treat the whole underside of the bed with some Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. I've had the truck since new and always wash the underside in the winter. Can't keep up with the Calcium chloride in the winter apparently.

Quick Reply: Bed floor rusting through.