Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bearing/Hissing Sound while in 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearing/Hissing Sound while in 4WD

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to the Ford F150. Picked up my 04 F150 4x4 w/ MSOF back in May. Lately, I've been getting a metallic spinning type noise, almost like a bearing sound coming from the transfer case when in 4wd.

The noise is difficult to diagnose, and that's why I'm confused. I've searched a bunch of threads and can't seem to put my finger on it. I only hear the noise in 4wd. 4WD engages without an issue, but makes the noise under load, and gets louder as vehicle speed increases. The noise lessens after I take my foot off the throttle.

First thought was a bearing inside the transfer case. I really hope that's not the issue, b/c that is expensive and time consuming. But the more I listen to it, it sounds like it could be a vacuum leak. A bunch of owners have issues with the IWE and associated vacuum operated components failing. But they hear this noise in 2WD which goes away in 4WD, and they also usually have issues engaging the 4WD system. I have the opposite issue.

I also read a thread that sounded like my issue, but the person modified the MSOF shift linkage. Moving the shifter around on my truck definitely changes the pitch of the noise, but the noise is still there. The truck runs/shifts great and has only 37k miles on it. I'm hoping this is an inexpensive issue.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM

Anyone??
Old 10-30-2012, 12:46 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Hey mig233,

I actually dealt with the IWE issue... you are correct, it happens in 2WD due to the vacuum system pulling the hubs in but leaking so partially engaging. In 4WD the vacuum is dropped and the springs engage the hubs. So if you're hearing noises in 4WD, it's not likely the IWE's.

I had a dry-metal squeel noise last year only when in 4WD and I thought for sure something went on me. Believe it or not, there's a shield around the front driveshaft going from the transfercase and somehow it bent down and was rubbing the shaft. In fact, I think you could even see the rotational marks where it was rubbing. It was letting off a high pitch squeel noise, ONLY while in 4WD (as everything's disconnected). All I did was bent it back and away the noise went, no issues since. I don't know for sure if this is it on yours but I'd have a look. I can't remember what that shield is for (maybe exhaust) but I must have caught something in there at some point to bend it down (snow?).
Old 10-30-2012, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the response Homer. I'll have to check. The noise isn't extremely loud. It's noticeable though. It's not a noise that would make you think to stop the car and not drive until it's resolved...it's more like something is starting to wear out.
But, it could be a normal noise also. I've read a bunch of threads where people say their brand new trucks are making the same noise. IDK. I am first going to check the transfer case fluid level and go from there. I actually found a video of the noise my truck makes...normal or not???

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...1-Computer.mp4
Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Wow, that is weird! Yeah, that's definitely not the same noise I had. Mine also would not disappear by dropping the throttle as it was on the driveshaft. I mounted a gopro camera under mine once to try and narrow a problem, not sure if that's something you have access to or may help?

Quick Reply: Bearing/Hissing Sound while in 4WD