Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

BBK Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 02:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default BBK Throttle Body

I have an 08 5.4L with AFE CAI, Cat back exhaust and Programmer. I'm going to order a BBK 80mm Throttle Body next week. I'm hoping to get 100hp out of it. But I'll have to settle for the 7-10hp. Mostly I've read that it helps solve some of the crappy throttle response our trucks have. I think having the CAI Cat back and Programmer and now the Throttle Body to top it off should help with it. Do any of you run this sort of set up? And did you notice at least some gain from it?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:57 AM
SJP

Received 94 Likes on 90 Posts

I'll be shocked if you see 7-10HP from it but it. If you don't have any I would look into getting some custom tunes before you buy the BBK throttle body.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:41 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

I'd like to se your results with the bigger throttle body. I'm sure it won't be a worthless mod, but without more fuel added to the mix, you might lean out with all that air... The computer should be able to compensate for it, but a custom tune will probably give you the best gains you hope to achieve with it...

From a price to performance standpoint, your paying almost $50 bucks for each 1 HP "speculative" increase. Its not what I would call the best bang for the buck...
Old 05-05-2013, 09:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the BBK throttle body for my 4.6 wasnt that impressed unfortunately. I got that with the tb spacer and the K & N CAI and the Grantelli Motor Sports MAF which all helped. The thhng that I noticed that helped a good bit is the under drive pulley system and my programmer. LOL.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 PM

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Let us know results!
Old 05-06-2013, 12:09 PM

I'm really not too worried about how much HP I get. The biggest gain for me would be better throttle response. I had a car a few years ago with about a 45mm throttle opening with fins. I put a 50 or 60mm can't remember on and the throttle response was night and day difference. So I'm really hoping this helps the truck. I have a programmer and I can play with the fuel mixture. I can richen it up a bit if needed. I'll post when I get it and drive with it for a bit.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is very simular to the "if it ain't broke" example; Unless you've added enough mods to require the extra airfow (heads, cams, etc) there's no reason to think you would see any gain at all, (except MAYBE in the very upper rpm range) ESPECIALLY if you haven't adjusted fuel enrichment.
As for better throttle response, usually when you go larger, you slow down the speed of the airflow which would translate into less responsiveness. I've seen it repeatly on other brands when guys would go to larger TB and MAFs on stock cars, but maybe the 5.4 is undersized from the factory, and you will see some gains
Old 05-06-2013, 01:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Programming and under drive always helps.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:38 AM

Under Drive pulleys will be in the future. I have heard good things about pulleys and I also own a programmer. I have also heard of guys being very happy with the BBK upgrade/change. I have also heard guys say they didn't really notice anything. Not sure how the same engine/truck can have two different results for so many people. Maybe different results for different geographical locations....altitude etc...????

Quick Reply: BBK Throttle Body