Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Battery light on after new alternator

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Battery light on after new alternator

Truck was dead the other day so I charged 4 month old battery and everything checked out ok after I drove it. Took it too get a load test (on truck) and battery and alt checked ok. I kept checking it periodically because I don't know what caused it to die in the first place. Its an autozone battery, yeah yeah I know so I kept suspecting the battery. I put my voltmeter on it yesterday while running and the readings were all over the place which led me to believe it was the alternator. I have the notorious alt whistle when its cold out so I decided to replace it with a motorcraft reman. Installed the new alt today in the pouring rain and now my battery light is on and wont go off. I haven't driven the truck but started it a few times and the light comes on after 30 seconds and stays on. What the heck is going on? I put my voltmeter on it again while running and it seems ok. where do I go from here? Battery, bad reman alternator? I have to go to work tomorrow and don't want any issues, let alone to be stranded. I'm well aware of the arguments for reman parts and certain batteries so I'm just looking for some guidance. If it means anything, the battery was disc all night but fully charged all day yesterday. Its raining like a banche all day here and I can't get it into my garage. Thanks. By the way, all connections are clean and tight
(

Last edited by Tommy J; 02-03-2016 at 01:49 PM. Reason: more comments
Old 02-03-2016, 04:58 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

"Installed in the rain."

Did the alternator get wet? Water & electricity don't mix... You may be able to let it dry out. If you still have the same problems, your new alt might be toast.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by nrivera04
"Installed in the rain."

Did the alternator get wet? Water & electricity don't mix... You may be able to let it dry out. If you still have the same problems, your new alt might be toast.
Actually no, did the install in between showers and kept engine bay and everything as dry as I could plus the hood acted as a shield
Old 02-03-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

It is possible you got a bad unit out of the box. Might also try chasing a couple fuses to see if anything blew.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:20 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a Scanguage II I keep plugged into the OBD port and I am usually at 14.6 volts cruising down the road
The following users liked this post:
Tommy J (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHen you say everything checks fine with the voltmeter, what dre your voltages? with the truck running you should have around 14.2 volts. Make sure that you are hooking your voltmeter up correctly. If you are getting less than that I would get a new one. Good luck in getting it sorted out.

Tom
Old 02-04-2016, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by nrivera04
It is possible you got a bad unit out of the box. Might also try chasing a couple fuses to see if anything blew.
Yes, I'm sure its possible as with the battery also. I'm going to look around again today and do some more testing.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Darkus Mingler
WHen you say everything checks fine with the voltmeter, what dre your voltages? with the truck running you should have around 14.2 volts. Make sure that you are hooking your voltmeter up correctly. If you are getting less than that I would get a new one. Good luck in getting it sorted out.

Tom
Yep, I'm doing it correctly and getting around 14.2 running and at 1500 rpm's. I'm going to look around again today at wiring and fusible links etc. thanks
Old 02-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Swap the Alt out...take it back and get another one... our trucks are very picky on this part...most likely the re-man has an inferior voltage regulator in it.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
Swap the Alt out...take it back and get another one... our trucks are very picky on this part...most likely the re-man has an inferior voltage regulator in it.
Yep, took it to my mechanic and even though everything looks ok. I called and am picking up another one today. Its idling higher than usual too so it has to be the alt. thanks

Quick Reply: Battery light on after new alternator