Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Battery Dead after 3 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:09 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Battery Dead after 3 weeks

My factory battery died and Instead of taking a new one of the same size for free...I ditched out the money and bought the bigger one for our trucks. No problems for 3 months. However, I let it sit for 3 weeks (due to surgeries and other crap) and went to start it yesterday and it was dead...I mean completely dead! Remote key pad would not work, no lights, when I put the key in nothing would illuminate or even twitch. So I jumped it and drove it around. Let it sit over night last night. (830pm -915 am) and started right up this morning. I will be going out there in about 5 min to make sure it starts up again. My question is, it is normal for the battery to drain that much in 3 weeks?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is a parasitic drain on all batteries hooked up to trucks and cars. Although the rates are specific to the make/model. Even if the battery was not hooked up, it self discharges slowly. You can Google "car batteries basics" to get all the details...
Old 03-10-2010, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JERU
There is a parasitic drain on all batteries hooked up to trucks and cars. Although the rates are specific to the make/model. Even if the battery was not hooked up, it self discharges slowly. You can Google "car batteries basics" to get all the details...
The parasitic drain is correct but you have something else more than that.My 06 Mustang sits in the garage for a month or more and does not kill the battery and it is the original and 30,000 miles on car. So you might want to be looking for some type of draw on the system.A bad set of diodes in an Alt. will actually cause the alt. to discharge the battery while not in use...
Old 03-10-2010, 11:23 PM
American Muscle

Originally Posted by Redneckmafia
The parasitic drain is correct but you have something else more than that.My 06 Mustang sits in the garage for a month or more and does not kill the battery and it is the original and 30,000 miles on car. So you might want to be looking for some type of draw on the system.A bad set of diodes in an Alt. will actually cause the alt. to discharge the battery while not in use...
Its pretty rare that I let it sit that long. Probably wont happen again for a while. Should I investigate?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:28 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dplummer87
Its pretty rare that I let it sit that long. Probably wont happen again for a while. Should I investigate?

do you have any aftermarket like alarms or amps these will all drain your battery in time. this typically is normal if you do..
Old 03-11-2010, 12:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

radar detector or cell phone charger will drain it too if not started in that amount of time too

i have done that before and had to get the booster pack out
Old 03-11-2010, 01:07 AM
American Muscle

Yes, I have an after market alarm. I thought about that as well. I also have an amp but it is hooked up to remote and is only on when the truck is on...But I guess between the alarm, and all the other electronics that draw a constant charge it died.

Quick Reply: Battery Dead after 3 weeks