Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Battery or ......

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Battery or ......

Buddies truck wouldn't start and he said he didn't leave anything on. It turned over a little and the next time it just made a repeating clicking noise. How can I test if the battery is good or not. Truck is an 06 Screw Lariat. Any suggestions on something else it might be?
Old 11-15-2009, 03:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There can be numerous issues that caused the problem. I'd take the battery out and attempt to recharge it first. If it does not take a charge or the charging unit shows little or no juice going into the battery, it has an open cell and is toast. The final diode in the alternator could also have gone bad which causes all of the juice it put into the battery to drain out back thru the alternator when the key is in the off position. Alternator replacement is required. He could also have one of many relays bad allowing juice to stay in the circuit draining the battery. A bad brake light switch, bad ignition switch, etc could be the issue but the battery is the first place to look.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the things that Trapper mentioned can be true, however I just had the same problem with my 05. It was the original battery and just needed to be replaced. Take the battery to to an Auto Zone and have them charge and test it for you if you don't have the resources. I think you'll find it has sulfated, meaning it will not accept a charge any longer. Like Trapper mentioned Check out the battery first!
Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 PM

We took the battery to advance and they said it was bad. They put a new one in, 675 CCA, the guy told us that was the biggest battery that would fit. Is there a battery with more CCA that would fit? Just wondering, anyways, new battery fixed everything.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great!!!!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tdg0830
We took the battery to advance and they said it was bad. They put a new one in, 675 CCA, the guy told us that was the biggest battery that would fit. Is there a battery with more CCA that would fit? Just wondering, anyways, new battery fixed everything.
i just purchased one that had about 850 cca from pepboys
Old 11-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is the rating of the battery's ability to provide that much "umph" for a period of minutes. Buying a battery with more CCA's is not nessesarily needed, especially for smaller engines. Now if they are on sale, then nothing is hurt buy buying the battery with more CCA's.

Just don't run out and buy the battery with the most CCA's because you think you need it. The more accessories you have, such as power door locks, power windows, etc, all put a load on the battery and alternator along with the starter.

Check your owners manual for minimum CCA requirements for your model truck. Buy at leat that minimum in CCA.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:37 PM

I just want the best of the best.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is the rating of the battery's ability to provide that much "umph" for a period of minutes. Buying a battery with more CCA's is not nessesarily needed, especially for smaller engines. Now if they are on sale, then nothing is hurt buy buying the battery with more CCA's.

Just don't run out and buy the battery with the most CCA's because you think you need it. The more accessories you have, such as power door locks, power windows, etc, all put a load on the battery and alternator along with the starter.

Check your owners manual for minimum CCA requirements for your model truck. Buy at leat that minimum in CCA.
yeah it was only like $5 more than the about 700CCA one, so i said why not... i think at the time it was on sale
Old 11-17-2009, 12:27 PM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tdg0830
I just want the best of the best.
Optima battery hands down. Def more expensive though.....

I run a Optima red top in two of my vehicles.....

Quick Reply: Battery or ......