Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Basic Mods for the 4.6L

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic Mods for the 4.6L

Okay,
I have around 1k to put out.

What intake should I get that gives me a nice sound from the engine and a lot of performance gain?

Same with exhaust, I was thinking true duals, or maybe straight pipe, or maybe just a Electronic Exhaust Cut Off. Which would give me the most power? Wouldn't it be the Electronic Exhaust Cut Off since there is no restriction?

And finally the chip. I really like the Edge Evo, but I've heard Hypertech is better. What is your opinion on this?

After the chip are there any other cheap mods for a nice hp and torque gain?

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:24 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

both the hypertech and edge are absolute crap, plain and simple.

You will not get a big power gain from any exhaust system. But......a tuner (sct xcal2/3 from lasota, vmp, matthillmotorsports, or troyer) along with a quality CAI, im a Volant fan and an exhaust system of your choice will be the biggest improvement. That being said, mod motors typically respond very well to flow thru type mufflers such as a Borla or Magnaflow and just because its loud, doesnt mean it flows well or gives you a great power gain. I am not a fan of flowmasters for many reasons, first and foremost, the baffled design isnt that splendiforous, my experience with flowmasters on my car many years ago, was not a positive one. Sure, they were inexpensive, but the drone within the car was attrocious and the welds were rusted out and beginning to flake after under 4 years and I live in South Florida, a climate not known for rusting out stuff....
Old 04-09-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hypertech is junk, stay away from that.
I would go with a magnaflow catback (about $500), CAI (about $250), and an xcal3 (about $350) for a total of $1100. a little over your budget but not by much. For about $75 more you can get custom tunes on your tuner (which is highly recommended).

then when you have a little more money to spend, look into UD pullies and an efan setup
Old 04-09-2008, 07:28 PM

I agree with a CAI and the SCT tuner and some time with a dyno, best bang for the buck, add a methanol injection with the tune and you will be very happy. Exhaust work is the least return on investment other than sounding good...
But as we all know, it never ends.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by metalman
I agree with a CAI and the SCT tuner and some time with a dyno, best bang for the buck, add a methanol injection with the tune and you will be very happy. Exhaust work is the least return on investment other than sounding good...
But as we all know, it never ends.

i wouldnt waste the money on meth injection if the motor is N/A. There just isnt much gain. If the motor was boosted then i would run it for sure
Old 04-11-2008, 11:57 AM

Absolutely correct on the meth, my fault. I was thinking only about my situation and it was a great add-on with the blower for just a few $$.

Quick Reply: Basic Mods for the 4.6L