Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Barely Runs, Random Misfires

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barely Runs, Random Misfires

Ok I'll give you the whole story here. Loaded up the sled trailer and took it to work to inspect it. Was leaving work and heading north for a sledding trip, stopped to fill up with gas. Made it about 15-20 miles down the highway, got on the throttle to merge with traffic, stated to misfire and carry on, check engine light etc... Pulled out the scanner and had random misfire code and cylinder five, cleared em and they came right back. So I abandoned my trip and limped it home, It made it just acted up when it really was working hard. By the time I got home it had codes for 5 and 6 along with the random misfire. So I figured the coil packs were shot. The truck sat in the garage for a few weeks until I got the parts and around to fixing it. Today I installed new spark plugs and coil packs in 5 and 6, all other plugs were replaced not that long ago, put it all back together and it ran fine at first. Took it out and hammered on it and now it is worse than before!!! Barely runs, has codes for cylinders 7,8,5, and random misfires. I am wondering if I got some really bad fuel??? It has over 3/4 of a tank. What is the best way to fix it? Get rid of all the fuel and change the filter?
Old 02-23-2014, 05:32 PM

Dumped some dry gas in it and let it run, isn't getting any better, now it stalls when hitting the brake in reverse. Could it be the FPDM?
Old 02-23-2014, 05:39 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by 06FX$
Dumped some dry gas in it and let it run, isn't getting any better, now it stalls when hitting the brake in reverse. Could it be the FPDM?
Hi.

Yep - could be.

Also - dirty MAF, clogged fuel filter... but the suddeness suggests FPDM.

good luck

MGD
Old 02-23-2014, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

driver module rotted out...salt on roads there?
Old 02-25-2014, 11:30 AM

Well it's not rotted out but there is corrosion all around the plastic case so I would imagine that it is swollen and some moisture could get in. I'm hoping this is the problem, I am getting tired of this. The truck only has 47,550 miles on it and at this rate it isn't going to get many more on it if it won't run right.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:23 PM

Well an update. Finally got the new FPDM. Installed it and disconnected the battery to reset everything. Started up, seemed fine at first and then it started shaking again. Took it down the road. Barely got above 25 mph. Brought it back, sitting still, it would rev up to about 4500 with pedal to the floor and then all of a sudden it would drop to 2000 and not pick back up. I haven't changed the filter yet but the MAF and throttle body was cleaned. I am leaning towards a bad fuel pump. What do you guys think?
Old 03-07-2014, 02:02 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

How long prior to this happening did you get gas?

A fuel filter causing an issue is rare, and usually it will cause a problem under a load. So if it is idling and running rough, either it's not the filter, or it is damn near completely clogged.

I would take a fuel sample if that's possible
Old 03-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

I doubt its a fuel pump...fuel filter or even injector
Old 03-07-2014, 03:54 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
I doubt its a fuel pump...fuel filter or even injector
For multiple injectors to go bad at the exact same time is highly unlikely. Fuel pumps don't usually start going out, from my experience they either work or they don't. Filter is also unlikely. In my years as a tech I never saw a fuel filter cause a running problem on a car. The only time I have ever seen it was when I was 17, on my first car. It wouldn't rev high under a load. It drove just fine, but it just wouldn't make power under load. It acted up on the way to my uncle's repair shop coincidentally. I told him about it and he said it sounded like a fuel filter. He replaced it and it was fixed
Old 03-08-2014, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by pcastal
How long prior to this happening did you get gas?

A fuel filter causing an issue is rare, and usually it will cause a problem under a load. So if it is idling and running rough, either it's not the filter, or it is damn near completely clogged.

I would take a fuel sample if that's possible
Filled up with gas the same night it started happening. Made it about 20 miles and then it started acting up. What is the best way to get a sample. I tried my buddy who works at a garage's idea about adding dry gas and let it idle for a while and that did not help.

Quick Reply: Barely Runs, Random Misfires