Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 11:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Ball joints

I recently replaced both IWE actuators in my truck and when I had the UCA's detached from the steering knuckle I noticed that the ball joints were very easy to move inside the cup. When I put everything back together I could not notice any play in the upper or lower ball joints. I have ordered new UCA's as well as lower ball joints from RockAuto and they will hopefully arrive in time to install them this weekend.

I hope to borrow a ball joint press locally as part of a loan-a-tool program, but I noticed that there is a OEM Ford Ball Joint Adaptor Set listed as well. Does anyone know if a special adapter set is needed for our trucks or is the standard ball joint press (which includes one removing and one installing adapter as well as three receiver tubes) sufficient?

Here is a link to the ball joint press:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/oe...-1250043p.html

And here is the adapter set:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/oe...-1250015p.html

Is the truck safe to drive in the meantime? I believe local regulations just check for excessive play without aid of a pry bar or similar tool and I could not see or feel any play in the joints. I checked both horizontal and vertical movement with the wheel/tire both removed and installed, but the tension from the struts and the weight of the components made it pretty difficult to see any play. I know it's impossible to say for certain but just looking for opinions based on the information I have provided.

Cheers!
Old 11-27-2015, 05:32 AM

My parts came in, Moog premium, looks like quality stuff. I'm going to tackle this over the weekend, anyone know if I need that adapter set?
Old 11-27-2015, 08:07 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Ball joints

I wasn't able to see the link you posted but, when I changed my ball joints I rented the tool from autozone which came with three adapters to press it out.

Last edited by 04 Lucho; 11-27-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:39 AM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

x2
Old 11-27-2015, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the Autozone tool when I did mine, too. They had the upper control arm and lower ball joints in stock.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:52 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Take your new lower ball joints to the rental place so you can size them up against what comes with the press and any additional adapters. I did mine with the big assortment that comes with the advance auto rental press.

Thought I was going to shatter the press C frame using my 4' 1/2" drive breaker bar. I even heated the control arm up around the ball joint.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Toshbar
Take your new lower ball joints to the rental place so you can size them up against what comes with the press and any additional adapters. I did mine with the big assortment that comes with the advance auto rental press.

Thought I was going to shatter the press C frame using my 4' 1/2" drive breaker bar. I even heated the control arm up around the ball joint.
Thats a great idea, thanks for the suggestion.

The press and adapter kit are made by OEM, I think the adapter kit is needed for cars but haven't found anything definitive. I'm pretty sure all I need is the press but I will bring the ball joint and size them up at the store.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:24 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

The "C" press I borrowed from Advanced Auto was very beefy and it had no problem pressing out my lower ball joints. I just pulled the trigger on new Moog UCA's and Monroe quick struts from Rock Auto. Probably put those in next weekend. I'm hoping that will improve my ride. My truck doesn't feel like a new truck anymore. I hope that helps.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

I watched a shop use a 2 1/2lbs sledge to take the lower ones out once, next time I did ball joints on my old expedition, I used the same to take the lower ones out and it only took about a minute after the retaining ring was removed to get it out, then I used my impact gun with the C clamp tool from autozone and the new one went right in. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Tom
Old 11-28-2015, 09:49 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm not sure if that specific adapter is what you need but you do need something else that is wider in diameter than the balljoint but shorter in length than the cups provided in the kit. I did everything on the front end this week, and it was a royal pita. Use lots of PB Blaster and have more patience than me lol.

Quick Reply: Ball joints