Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Ball Joints ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Beach bumming it...

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Ball Joints ??

04 2wd 5.4L Stock

Every time I come off center and go left with the steering wheel I feel a vibration and cluck. Not at hard left only slight left or curves reguardless if I am giving it gas or not. Does not happen when going right.
My first thoughts were jack the front end up and check everything. Wiggled the tires side to side, up and down. I found little play up and down on the passenger’s side and that was all.
I check the tie rods, sway bars, shocks, coils, etc.. Nothing else was wrong.
I started searching around and this seemed to be a common problem saying the clutch packs in the rear have gone bad. So I took it to the dealer (That I just purchased this truck from) they pulled the back diff cover and said everything looked good and the clutch packs have been replaced.
They refilled with oil and additives, told me to drive around about 100+ miles to see if the issue is still there.
Same issue is still going on. This weekend I get the truck back in the garage swap the front (directional) tires thinking it could be a bad tire doing the vibration. No go so I look over everything and still only the pass side little play up and down.

My question is I feel the vibration and clucking in the pedals and floorboards not so much in the steering wheel. Do you think that a ball joint on the pass side has gone bad and causing both issues?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Beach bumming it...

No ideas??
Old 01-14-2014, 10:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Are there any rips or tears in the bushing of the ball joints? What about the condition of the bushings of the UCAs and LCAs?
Old 01-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Beach bumming it...

Originally Posted by G Diablo
Are there any rips or tears in the bushing of the ball joints? What about the condition of the bushings of the UCAs and LCAs?
I did not check the conditions of the Upper and Lower Control Arms. I could do that this week. There was loose rubber on the lower ball joint but nothing seemed to be leaking or have leaked.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Beach bumming it...

OK so I jacked up that side and tested. No up and down play just back and forward when on top and bottom. I want to say maybe the wheel bearing. But would that cluck and vibrate at the same time?

Check this video I just made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84V0c...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-18-2014, 07:31 AM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

You probably need new bearings and have a shop pull your tire and check the inside of where the tire bolts on to. Sorry I don't know what it's called inside the axle housing but that's what your video sounds like but I think it's the bearings. Maybe you need some grease
Old 01-18-2014, 09:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I would have to agree, it's probably the hub
Old 01-22-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lightbulb ball joints and upper control arm check

I had a similar problem on my '05 F150 but mine was a 4X4. I changed out the hubs but still had the issue. I decided to upgrade the lower ball joints and upper control arms after that (Moog Joints w/ grease fittings). After getting the lower ball joint out, I noticed a lot of play and grinding in it (i'm pretty sure this was the source of my problem). I haven't had any problems since...

If you decide to upgrade the ball joints and upper arms, make sure you get the Moogs.... they have the grease fittings for maintenance and they also come with a lifetime warranty

Quick Reply: Ball Joints ??